• TRAVEL NOTICE: Learn more about COVID-19

Dana6Kids
2-5 Cruises • Age 50s

Sail Date: Dec 2018
Cabin: Outside Stateroom with French Balcony

I chose this cruise because it was my first cruise ever and was offered on a singles 50+ website. It was a small river ship, and as I was born in Germany (U.S. Army), it as well as Switzerland was at the top of my bucket list. It felt manageable to me, traveling solo as a deaf person. The ship’s crew were wonderful and unforgettable! Madalin in the dining room was my favorite waiter, always taking care of me and making sure I ordered the best meal on the menu. He also never forgot that I hate red wine and always poured the white without me asking. My cabin steward was wonderful, and so were ALL of the crew members! They were all in a line to greet us as we arrived, and there were many hugs upon departure. The food was fantastic, but for some reason, other passengers didn’t agree; they were used to getting tons of food at the buffets any time they wanted on the big ships. With constant port stops, there was no time to be bored. My only regret is that it was winter, so we couldn’t open our sliding glass door and turn out cabin into a balcony.

Outside Stateroom with French Balcony

Cabin P

Tight, but beautiful! Comfortable beds, wonderful bathroom, GREAT shower! Not much storage space.

Port Reviews

Zurich

Rode the tram to top of Mt. Pilatus (gorgeous!) and browsed the city of Lucerne before continuing on by motor coach to Basel to board the Tranquility II.

Strasbourg

It was just two days after they caught and killed the terrorist, so we didn’t stop there due to extensive border patrol. Sad, because we were all looking forward to our “Story Book” town excursion.

Heidelberg

I was hoping to see the inside of the castle, but that didnt happen. The outside was pretty cool, though.

Cologne

We visited the old jail (dungeon) where the Nazis held Jewish prisoner before they were shipped off to Auschwitz or wherever. Made my heart hurt.

Amsterdam

Very cool! It rained like crazy, so we were opening the boats windows to see better.

1 Helpful Vote