3. Carnival Dream
This was the first Dream class ship I have sailed after many cruises with Carnival Cruise Line. As can happen on a new ship this was one of those: " by the time I get off I'll know my way around " cruises. Walking up to deck 4 to cross over the main galley to descend to deck 3 got tiresome but it is what it is. Spirit class ships have me spoiled no doubt. The cruise director Gary was every bit as good and more than what I had read here on Cruise Critic. He has a lively exuberance that's infectious and his winning smile and clever wit never disappoint. The new cakes served at lunch in the lido were a big favorite. Each day there were new and colorful looking varieties to tempt me. Some days I got decadent and walked my plate of cake over to the frozen yogurt dispenser and topped it off with a cold treat for good measure. Carnival has really upped their game with this fine addition to the dessert offerings. Afternoon tea at 3 PM in the Scarlet Dining Room each sea day afternoon was enhanced by the live performance of the violin and cello trio named Allure Strings. The afternoons spent there were relaxing and a welcome respite from the hubbub of the pool decks. Carnival has always given their guests choice for events and this cruise was no exception. When the sun got to be too much there was always another round of trivia to participate in at the Ocean Plaza or live music being performed on the main stage over the bar in the Grand Atrium. The main dining room was hit or miss this cruise. When ordering the same entree on another day the presentation and preparation often was distinctly different. A simple request for a side of steamed vegetables on elegant night was met with resistance by the service staff: " This is elegant night, everything comes like it is on the menu, there are no sides tonight. " I must say that in future I'll pass on elegant nights and I'll elect to have dinner at the lido buffet where choice is still an option. My cabin was the cleanest cabin I have had in many years on Carnival. There wasn't a spot of dust behind the TV or in the closets to be seen. The management and stewarding team are to be congratulated for taking their responsibilities to good housekeeping to heart. Well done! My request for twice a day service was met with a gracious smile and a can do attitude and the steward's positivity was present all week. This cruise the housekeeping crew raised the overall score but the main dining room hiccups and bumps along the way lowered the score decidedly. Elegant night wasn't so elegant this cruise and my interest in returning to the dining room on those evenings has been lost to me until such time as Carnival finally changes the American Feast ( or Famine ) menu.

Hiccups and Bumps