Vision of the Seas Cruise Review
1,229 Reviews

Smaller ship than usual but still loads of fun!

Vision of the Seas Cruise Review by Pancha Villa

• Sail Date: Feb 2019
  • Destination: the Western Caribbean
  • Cabin Type: Interior

Had wanted to cruise out of New Orleans forever so once this particular cruise became available I reserved my cabin at best price immediately. The trip on the Mississippi River is quite rough, in fact the first 24 hours was rough so I suggest putting on those pressure point wrist bands on within the first 2 hours and leaving them on though out the night.

Since the ship is much smaller than popular newer ones the activity director proved successful in getting all passengers to participate at some point during our trip utilizing the 4th & 5th level as you leave the Main Dining Room. It's all out full fun and the last day a group of our fellow cruisers performed Michael Jacksons "Thriller" in full make up & dress. You could see most passengers took a break from packing to watch the production from all levels of the ship. Flawless & well done!

All the tours booked by Royal Caribbean went off without a hitch and I'd book the ruins again at Costa Maya saving time at the beach side resort developed entirely to entertain cruise visitors as it offers a super pool surrounded by all types of restaurants, bars and shops. Our tour group didn't have but 30 minutes here - not near long enough. There were problems at Trujillo Honduras with the ships Tenders repeatedly getting stuck in a sandbar near the dock but the shopping was traditional and they had multiple handmade items for sale. The wait to re-board the ship was up to 2 1/2 hours with a very long line. I learned later this was a new R.C. port site so I'm certain they'll make necessary improvements.

Be sure to save time for the city of New Orleans either before or after your cruise!

Pancha Villa's Full Rating Summary

Interior

First time with an inside cabin I was a bit apprehensive but this cabin was very spacious having a full size couch lengthwise allowing me to imagine the room easily accommodating another person, perhaps 2 and my steward couldn't have been more attentive, loads of closet space as well.

Mayan Ruins

I'd live nearby if possible, this location is so beautiful. The tour has grown since my first trip and I'd suggest the tour agent meet ship guests right off the ship as it would save time to spend at Tulum.

View All 425 Mayan Ruins Reviews
Banana Coast (Trujillo)

As mentioned work is needed at the dock but the shopping is excellent if you're searching for homemade items of the culture.

Dzibanche Ruins

Still developing this site one can access all ruins and walk inside all but 1. The tour guides are local Mayan peoples and extremely well versed in the history. Most on our tour had initials itched into one of the traditional Mayan symbols to bring home, the guide called them in on the 2 hour drive to ruin and we picked them up just before returning to the ship. A very special treat.

View All 17 Dzibanche Ruins Reviews
New Orleans

I'd wait until checked into your hotel to book tours as they know the best agencies to deal with and can get lower pricing.

Go to Whitney first so you'll understand the full experience of plantation life, esp. for the slaves who built them. Whitney is a guided walking tour of nearly 2 hours and you'll want more. Oak Alley is a huge gallant site and since they have guest bungalows for rent I'd spend at least a night to devote ample time to the grounds. Prices were a little lower than most French Quarter hotels.

View All undefined undefined Reviews