3. Costa Diadema
We were offered a package with airfare and cruise. Seemed like a good deal. We had previously discussed visiting some of the cities on the itinerary, First glimpse of Costa infrastructure technology was when we tried to log in to the MyCosta website It asks for your first name, surname and your "BOOKING REFERENCE" Login always fails unless you omit the first name.. We asked for where it boards. "Barcelona" Which dock ( there are 3 or 4) crickets.. Got on board, and went to check on our pre-reserved packages for beverages, excursions, etc. Most could not be found by the staff. I went outside, where I could get internet on my phone. Logged in to the MyCosta website, and saw that all my bookings were still there. Never did completely sort this out, so every time we ordered a drink the staff would have to double check for our drinks packages as they did not show in our ship cards. First night we went to dinner. We had booked for the "Main dinner from 21 O'Clock" They had us down at "Early Dinner form 17 O'Clock We had booked the Fiorentino restaurant on Deck 3 They had us in the Adularia restaurant We did not care much which restaurant, but did not want to eat at 7. They changed this for us. Second day was to be at sea, and I had booked for my wife to have a Swedish massage - 50 minutes, in the spa. Cost of 99 Euros Of course they "lost" the booking. I checked on My Costa the next day in port, and it was still there. This did not help me that day, so I had the spa rebook it. My wife was booked at 4 p.m., so she went and had the massage. They gave her the "Elemis Asian hot stone massage - 50 minutes" and charged us 154 Euros. They told my wife at the end of the massage that her skin looked quite dry, and sold her a package of 3 different skin lotions to help that. She signed the slip, and did not look closely. When she got back to our cabin she mentioned, so I asked for the slip. They had charged us 595 Euros for the lotions! We went back to the spa and wanted to return these ( unused and unopened, same day, within an hour) They tried to refused. I asked for a manager, and was told that she was not available. I complained to the cruise service desk and asked to speak with a manager. They spoke with me and an appointment with the spa manager was booked for 7 p.m. the next day. We met, she acted all surprised, and accepted our request for a refund. She accepted that, but that the refund had to be done in 2 days later, at Savona, at 10 am. The next day ( and a day before the credit was supposed to happen) they processed the charges against my card for $1,015 CAD The next day ( as arranged) and time I went back to the spa, and ( of course) the manager was not available, and the staff could not do anything. Went back to the cruise ship service, asked for a manager again, and was asked to wait for 20 minutes. Apparently some decision was made in the background, as, when I returned 20 minutes later they offered us the credit, which we accepted, and was processed on the last day of our cruise.. On that day I told them that unless I could log in to my card website and see the credit there I was not going to leave the ship. Drink packages: We booked 2 drink packages: "WATER, COFFEE & BEER PACKAGE" for 69 Euros, to include: " package of 7 water bottles (1lt), 7 draft beers (40cl) and 14 coffees (normal or decaf)." This actually meant: 7 water bottles, 7 Heinecken drafts, and 14 espressos. If one ordered a coffee with milk, they made us cafe latte, and charged our card for 3 Euros. We finally learned that if we ordered an "Americano with milk" we could get this, actually made identical to a cafe latte, and put it against our prepaid coffees. They would not credit us for the 5 previous coffees we had, at a cost of 15 Euros. Cabins: We selected an inside cabin, midships. It was clean, comfortable, and very quiet. Only complaints: TV remote did not work ( they replaced) Only 1 AC power outlet in the whole suite. Bar fridge did not refrigerate. In general, the staff service was quite good. The sit down meals were Italian food and very good with excellent service The buffet meals were chaotic. Running out of many items very fast. They acted like they were preparing to feed 500 people and 1500 had shown up. They charge an automatic 15% gratuity on all purchases, food and beverages. This is not included with the prepaid drink packages, and is charged extra. They charge an extra 10 Euros per day, per person, service charge. Basically the practice is to "nickle and dime" one to death on everything. Most of the ports were as expected. One, Savona, in northern italy is a former industrial town with a population of 61,000. As Wikipaedia describes it: "Savona used to be one of the chief seats of the Italian iron industry, having iron-works and foundries, shipbuilding, railway workshops, engineering shops, and a brass foundry." There is little to see or do there, and apparently it is chosen as it is fairly close to both Genoa ( 56km) away and Monaco ( 132 km away. Pardon my saying and apologies to the citizens of Savona, but it is a bit of a :"shithole" In either case an excursion is a trip by bus for about half the days travelling by roads. I think that Genoa would have been a much better destination, See: https://www.cruisecritic.com/ports/newport.cfm?ID=181 I just looked on Google Maps and saw 2 Costa ships tied there as of the day they took the satellite pictures. In summary: Nice ship, good food, cheap and disorganized cruise company. Will not be back on their ships.

Disorganized.

Costa Diadema Cruise Review by Maurice1956

It asks for your first name, surname and your "BOOKING REFERENCE"

Login always fails unless you omit the first name..

We asked for where it boards.

"Barcelona"

Which dock ( there are 3 or 4)

crickets..

Most could not be found by the staff.

I went outside, where I could get internet on my phone.

First night we went to dinner.

We had booked for the "Main dinner from 21 O'Clock"

They had us down at "Early Dinner form 17 O'Clock

We had booked the Fiorentino restaurant on Deck 3

They had us in the Adularia restaurant

We did not care much which restaurant, but did not want to eat at 7.

They changed this for us.

Of course they "lost" the booking.

I checked on My Costa the next day in port, and it was still there.

This did not help me that day, so I had the spa rebook it.

My wife was booked at 4 p.m., so she went and had the massage.

She signed the slip, and did not look closely.

When she got back to our cabin she mentioned, so I asked for the slip.

They had charged us 595 Euros for the lotions!

I complained to the cruise service desk and asked to speak with a manager.

We met, she acted all surprised, and accepted our request for a refund.

Drink packages:

We booked 2 drink packages:

"WATER, COFFEE & BEER PACKAGE" for 69 Euros, to include:

This actually meant: 7 water bottles, 7 Heinecken drafts, and 14 espressos.

Cabins:

We selected an inside cabin, midships.

It was clean, comfortable, and very quiet.

Only complaints:

TV remote did not work ( they replaced)

Only 1 AC power outlet in the whole suite.

Bar fridge did not refrigerate.

In general, the staff service was quite good.

The sit down meals were Italian food and very good with excellent service

They charge an automatic 15% gratuity on all purchases, food and beverages.

This is not included with the prepaid drink packages, and is charged extra.

They charge an extra 10 Euros per day, per person, service charge.

Basically the practice is to "nickle and dime" one to death on everything.

Most of the ports were as expected.

As Wikipaedia describes it:

I think that Genoa would have been a much better destination,

See:

In summary:

Nice ship, good food, cheap and disorganized cruise company.

Will not be back on their ships.
Maurice1956’s Full Rating Summary
Get Costa Diadema price drops

Classic Inside
Cabin IC 8094
Typical.
Quiet
Only one electrical outlet
Had to ask for a TV remote that works
Fridge did not work