3. Independence of the Seas
I’m a little late with this review, but better late than never right ; ) I was on the Independence of the Seas – 5 night Western Caribbean itinerary to Labadee and Falmouth, Jamaica. (January 12-17, 2019.) So a little bit about me and my travel partner/bf. We’re in our mid-20s. I’ve been on three cruises prior to this one. This was my bf’s first cruise. We flew into Ft. Lauderdale the day before and stayed at the Hampton Inn Ft. Lauderdale/Downtown Las Olas Area. The hotel partners with a company called All-Star for free shuttle service to and from the airport as well as within a 1 or 2 mile radius of the hotel. I found that the driver that I dealt with on that particular day was extremely rude and overall unpleasant. However, I refused to let him ruin my vacation. The hotel itself was clean and comfy and offered free continental breakfast the next morning. We took an uber from the hotel to Port Everglades. We got to the port around 11:15 and it took roughly 25 mins from the time we dropped off our luggage to when we were onboard the ship. We were in cabin 8330 (balcony). It was pretty spacious and the storage was adequate for the both of us. My only complaint was that there weren’t enough outlets in the room, but we made due. For breakfast we ate in the Windjammer everyday except for disembarkation day when we finally made it to the MDR. I wish we would’ve done breakfast in the MDR every day. It was soooo good :) The Windjammer was fine too. There were a lot of options so I doubt anyone would go hungry. We also had dinner in the MDR everyday. Again, the food was fine. Lots to choose from. I know food is subjective so not everyone may agree with me. Side note: our waiter Iputu and assistant waiter whose name I cannot remember :( were both outstanding! Throughout the day we frequented Sorrento’s and Cafe Promenade for snacks a midday bites. We also went to Johnny Rockets one day since we missed the Windjammer for lunch. I didn’t know that Johnny Rockets was considered an all-you-can eat location after paying the up-charge. It was a nice surprise and I most certainly got my money’s worth :) We didn’t get a drink package because it just wouldn’t have been worth it for us. When we wanted a cocktail or the occasional ginger ale we just used our OBC and ordered a la carte. The service at the bar was speedy. The only time that we had to wait a little longer was when we were at the Olive or Twist bar late night for the night club-style party. I don’t remember who the cruise or activities directors were, but I do remember them being pretty funny when hosting The Love & Marriage show, the Quest, and the Majority Rules game. We didn’t see the shows and the only activity we did was the Sky Pad (which was a lot of fun btw). We stopped in Labadee and Falmouth. I had been to both ports before when I cruise on Liberty of The Seas in 2014. In Labadee we did the ship-sponsored Adult Sandbar Party excursion. Because the water was too high, we weren’t able to stop at the sandbar and instead were taken to Amiga Island. The water was clear, albeit a little rocky, but overall no complaints. Rum punches were flowing, the music was pumping and we just enjoyed floating around on beach mats for a few hours. In Falmouth we booked an ATV tour through Excursions in Jamaica. The driver picked us up from the port and we rode to Ocho Rios where we did a little shopping before being taken to the location where we would drive around on ATVs for 2-ish hours. Once it was over we were driven back to the port with plenty of time to spare. Getting off the ship was fairly easy, but that may have been because I have global entry. After breakfast in the MDR we walked off the ship around 9:00 and made it through customs in record time. I was very thankful that we didn’t have to wait in the looooooong customs line. Mind you, this was during the government shutdown so it seemed like the number of available customs agents was a little lean. We were in an uber by 9:07 on the way to the airport. Overall, we had a good time and would take the same trip again in a heartbeat :)

Fun fun fun

Independence of the Seas Cruise Review by abrow098

• Sail Date: January 2019
  • Destination: Western Caribbean
  • Cabin Type: Ocean View Balcony
I’m a little late with this review, but better late than never right ; )

abrow098’s Full Rating Summary