3. Rotterdam
I specifically chose the ports of call, rather than the ship. But the Rotterdam and myself were a perfect fit. I love the smaller ships which do not make one feel like "another head in a bed", or like cattle being herded in or out of the ship. I loved my room near the front of the ship on the Dolphin Deck. The ship was very stable, but I like the bigger waves which I could hear slap the sides of the ship, and the gentle wave motion would lull me to sleep. My room was perfect, the cabin stewards were prompt and efficient, always pleasant and courteous. I had no issues with my room, or bathroom. I love the Elemis products which are supplied in the bathroom, especially the Elemis lotions. I do not like the pool area with the retractable roof, as it echos, and there is no outdoor pool. However, I knew this prior to booking the cruise, and it was not an issue. I went to quite a number of lovely beaches during my cruise. The food was excellent, both in the Lido and the main dining room. I had a lovely lunch for those who have been on Collector's tours, but did not attend any Mariner's lunches. This is a lovely ship, constant maintenance to keep it shipshape! It was very clean. I like the way the food is served in the Lido....where people cannot handle the food themselves, except for using tongs for some breads, fruit....but all is served, and with a "sneeze guard" over top of the food. I did see one guest put his face on the sneeze guard! I am so aware of handwashing and loved the automatic handwashing machines in the Lido. Factually there are guests who do not handwash properly, or use purell, and who may have poor personal hygiene practices, and who do not understand that a norovirus can be virulent on the ship. Happily no children on the first 2 weeks of the cruise, and only a few on the last week. I would like to see the small back pool between the hot tubs off limits to children, as the outdoor pool is on some of the other HAL ships. I specifically cruise with HAL for the fact of very few to no children on these cruises. I neither go to casino, or need jewellry etc., and attended only a few shows and music events. Miss BB KIngs and dueling pianos, like on the bigger ships, but really not a huge deal. I enjoyed the ports of call. All in all this was a very good cruise. Shout out to the attendants who clean and maintain the public bathrooms....a very important job on a cruise ship which is often overlooked by the guests.

Great time on the Rotterdam

lilahbeethoven’s Full Rating Summary
Get Holland America Rotterdam price drops

Large Ocean-View Stateroom
Cabin G 1813
I loved my cabin...it was perfect for me. Instead of window I had 2 portholes which made everything feel so nautical. The cabin stewards Riston and Rudjito were prompt, efficient, pleasant, courteous. There was nothing to be concerned about. Room and bathroom were well maintained, and cosy.
Main Deck Inside Cabins, Outside Cabins

• Antigua
    another lovely beach, nice bar, pleasant staff, great swimming and sunning
    View All 13,924 Antigua Cruise Port Reviews
    View Cruise Critic's Antigua Cruise Port Review
  • Beach
    Eagle Beach...beautiful. great swimming. Chairs and umbrella for 2 people cost $40., and if you leave your chair the beach guys will try taking them away in order to rent them to others! I had to come out of the bar area twice and tell them to not to take my chair away. Only annoying part of the day.
  • Costa Maya
    Just went to the "tourist port" as I did not want a long day. Spent some time watching an aerial and pirate show, had a few drinks. Typical shops....will do a tour next time!
    View All 2,660 Costa Maya Cruise Port Reviews
    View Cruise Critic's Costa Maya Cruise Port Review
  • Museum
    we went to a "slave museum". Having seen other "slave" museums, this one was also interesting and moving. The tragedy of enslaving people was graphic and emotional, and we need to remember this in our history....that so many people have been forcibly removed from their culture and country, and became enslaved and treated cruelly. Then we went to see the coastline. Very unique as the deep blue waters crashed against the shore. Later, when tour was over I wanderered about Willemstad, same old stores selling jewellry, beach dresses, t shirts, but found a unique little bar. Enjoyed the coloured houses from a distance...closer up they have lost all originality and are commerical enterprises catering to tourists.
  • Beach
    We went to 7 mile beach...but not the original area we were booked. This caused some issues for some of the guests with mobility problems as there was a seawall that had to be crossed. The step going up was a cement block. Luckily staff there to help some of the guests make their way. Lovely water, body surfing the waves. Lovely little restaurant and museum across the road.
  • Beach
    We went to Little French Key...nice swimming in a small bay area. The main beach area is very rocky. Great lunch and Key Lime Pie, good service. The only part I did not like was seeing caged tigers which are not native to Roatan!
  • Santo Tomas de Castilla
    I went to a beautiful beach, about 20 minutes by a small boat across the bay....and spent a lovely day there. Good drinks, water not as nice as some other beaches, but a great day. Area clean and very well maintained.
    View All 70 Santo Tomas de Castilla Cruise Port Reviews
    View Cruise Critic's Santo Tomas de Castilla Cruise Port Review
  • St. Lucia
    this was probably my fault as I read this as a beach day after visiting a church. It was a Sunday and we arrived during a church service. I felt like we were intruding on this religious service and perhaps was not appropriate. I would have like to stay at the church service and listen to the lovely hymns. Then back on the trolley to a local beach for a drink...30 minute stay...no time to swim. When we got back to port, I found a local taxi to take me back to the beach which was about a 7 minute drive from the port. So I had a great beach day, as my taxi driver was great and picked me up at agreed on time. I have forgotten the name of the beach, but it is very close to port....so don't take this tour....not worth the cost for a "stop" and a "drink" at a beach.
    View All 13,924 St. Lucia Cruise Port Reviews
    View Cruise Critic's St. Lucia Cruise Port Review
  • Beach
    walked out of the port area to find a local taxi to go to Magen Bay Beach...lovely beach, great swimming.