3. Norwegian Star
We chose this cruise for the destination (the Panama Canal) and the season (February when it was -32C at home. We booked just 2 weeks before sail date and booked a guaranteed balcony cabin. We did not get to pick our cabin. I never actually was told the cabin number by Norwegian. I found it somewhat hidden in the cruise docs. Meanwhile, I was getting emails asking me to bid on upgrades. I found this extremely annoying. It felt like they were selling off better cabins that might have been mine. I hate the feeling that I am being charged as much as possible for every little thing Norwegian charges for its specialty restaurant ($30US per person) and does not seem to have enough seating in its general dining rooms for everyone who wants to eat there. We were asked to take a pager and wait 45 to 60 minutes for a table. The Ginza Oriental dining room is very small. We managed a table once in the 14 days. There was always a line up. It isn't really that good. I also hate that I paid $5US for a bottle of water and they won't let you bring water from shore claiming security issues. We found the staff were excellent. They were always smiling and helpful. The main dining room staff, Versaille, seemed the most most harassed and over worked and least cheerful. I have some concern with the buffet restaurant were almost everything is self-serve with poor quality tongs. I saw people give up trying to grab sausages with thick plastic tongs and use their fingers. I also saw a passenger take a pair of better tongs with her from a shrimp dish and use them on the rest of the buffet possibly contaminating the whole buffet for anyone who has a seafood allergy. We found most of the food rather bland, very salty and rather boring. There were somewhat spicy curries on the buffet but they were there every day. I found the entertainment was mainly louder than it was good. The DJ and the Latin group were able to drive me from the pool area.

Just Okay

Norwegian Star Cruise Review by brpatterson

brpatterson’s Full Rating Summary
Get Norwegian Star price drops

Family Balcony
Cabin B3 8518
The cabin was small. The bathroom was really poorly planned. The "toilet closet" with a side door and tiny. You have to squeeze in going the right direction to sit down because you cannot turn around. I have some problems with my knees and getting up off the too low toilet was always a challenge. There wast not enough room to put feet down on one side of the bed. The couch/pull-out bed was not very comfortable for sitting for long. The balcony was partially obstructed because it is forward and the hull comes up to make a picture window rather than a fully open balcony.
Deck 9 Inside Cabins, Balcony Cabins, Suite Cabins