3. MSC Preziosa
Just returned from an amazing 14 day Caribbean cruise which we selected for the fantastic itinerary. It stopped in a port every day, 12 of which were different, 2 of which were repeated stops. Managed to see and do lots of excursions some both via MSC and independently. Even though we have done Caribbean cruises before this one had several islands we had never visited including Dominica, Guadeloupe, Martinique and Saint Vincent plus some old favourites! Did some great rain forest hikes, visited waterfalls and saw some great scenery and wildlife plus beaches, shopping and of course rum tasting. A really busy schedule but so enjoyable! That’s what cruising is all about. We have cruised with MSC a few times (and many other mid range cruise lines) so we knew to expect an amazing ship and the Preziosa is a great example. This cruise was booked as a package through an agent and included a drinks package, hotel, transfers and flight so was great value for money. I have just read a really odd review suggesting that the service was poor but to be perfectly honest I have no idea what ship this person was on but his/her main concern was clearly food and nothing else. I do believe in general that cruise food standards are not as good as they were 10 years ago but people need to remember that it’s just a package holiday at sea and not a 5* dining experience. Some of the luxury lines still maintain consistently high dining room standards but you just need to pay more to get this and some people just prefer to moan than pay This is my 20th cruise (8 different cruise lines) and I can honestly say the crew on this ship were amazing. They were ALL friendly, hardworking, chatty and efficient, we never had to wait to be served food or drinks I will list my pro’s and con’s and people can make their own minds up but I feel I have enough mid range cruise experience now to give a fair review. I have only really found one cruise line totally unacceptable and that was P&O but it was comparatively cheap. My favourite all rounder in this price bracket is probably Royal Caribbean with MSC, Holland America and Carnival close behind. They all have their good and bad points. Anyway, pro’s were Itinerary, ship itself, amazing staff, fantastic buffet food was always available and always good (salad, fruit, carvery, ethnic choice, pizza and ice cream particularly good) excursions were all of a high standard, balcony cabin was spacious and clean, fellow European guests were all friendly and chatty and flights and transfers all went smoothly we booked extra leg room and sat together. Drinks package was included and suited our needs with a wide choice of cocktails and some decent enough wine. You can upgrade if you need premium brands/ more wine choice but we just bought the odd glass of different wine if we wanted a change. We checked in our luggage at Gatwick and didn’t see it until we arrived in the cabin! 450 Brits on the flight seemed a little daunting but we soon realised it was a good selection of nationalities on board with French, German, Dutch, Russian and Caribbean’s etc which it made it more diverse, a great mix. Nothing worse than a ship full of Brits to make you feel like you are still at home. Three pool area's so could always find somewhere to swim and have a drink. Cons, these are more niggles than major complaints but safety drills at Martinique and Guadeloupe caused a little disruption for about an hour each time as guests had to listen to the announcements early evening in the bars. We headed outside on deck for a stroll around until it was over. A few hours out of two weeks wasn’t a major issue though. The dining room service was good but the food lacked originality some nights and I found the buffet preferable for choice and flexibility. You can however just ask for something else if you don’t like your first choice. Formal evenings don’t bother me and are largely phased out on more upmarket cruise lines like Celebrity but some people had an issue with there being a formal evening on the last night of the cruise which can probably be easily rectified by MSC. Most people dressed smartly but casually on formal nights although there were the usual smattering of Brits in their black tie formal attire which is totally unnecessary but whatever floats your boat. Also hated the constant hard sell of photographs which we stopped buying years ago but this is a common thing on cruise ships but it’s annoying. So to summarize a good all round value for money cruise with a great itinerary and a fantastic friendly and hardworking crew. Just wish people wouldn’t expect 5* food at 3* pricing! Remember it’s a package holiday and is priced as such.

Great all round value for money all inclusive cruise with a fantastic itinerary

MSC Preziosa Cruise Review by jtspecial

• Sail Date: February 2019
  • Destination: Caribbean
  • Cabin Type: Fantastica Balcony Stateroom

jtspecial’s Full Rating Summary
Get MSC Preziosa price drops

Fantastica Balcony Stateroom
Cabin B2 12080
Spacious clean, large corner shaped balcony. Quite shady due to deck 14 overhang but suited us. Room attendant kept it spotless.
Ametista Deck Inside Cabins, Balcony Cabins