Norwegian Gem Cruise Review

Norwegian Gem Cruise Review by dservetter

• Sail Date: Jan 2019
  • Destination: the Panama Canal & Central America
  • Cabin Type: Mid-Ship Inside

From embarkation, tenders, excursions, food, and debarkation, it was a fabulous trip on the Gem. Even when things went wrong, which they did, the staff was always there to help you, give you guidance, and in some instances a reimbursement against expenses.

The food overall was good, but I felt needed a little more variety. Their specialty buffet dinners days were not up to what I feel NCL is capable of, with very little selection of the “specialty day” foods. The regular buffet were excellent with great selections. The specialty diners, Cagney’s, Moderno, Le Bistro Café, La Cucina, were all fabulous dining experiences.

We took at least eight excursions on the 11 ports and all were very well organized even when things went wrong.

I loved the different activities especially the trivia. Aris, sexy Sue, K, along with Claire, the cruise director, were all fabulous ambassadors for NCL.

Overall had a great time on the Gem, and looking forward to my next NCL cruise.

dservetter's Full Rating Summary

Mid-Ship Inside
Cabin IA 10571

An inside cabin is an inside cabin, not much space, but dark and quiet which is what my wife and I like.

Snorkel at Elephant Rock

The description and what the excursion turned out to be was not accurate. Well we did see fish, we were told that there would be pastries and fruit and drinks on the ship, but they only had drinks.

View All 2 Snorkel at Elephant Rock Reviews

What should have been a great experience started off late, and because of that, everything was rushed. Instead of 45 minutes snorkeling we had 25. Instead of an hour on the beach we had 20 minutes. My wife and I had ordered fish tacos when we got there and we had to leave before they were even delivered to the table. The crew of the catamaran was fabulous and the drinks were great

View All undefined undefined Reviews
Corinto

Great excursion to Colonial Leon and the Bubbling Mud Pots.

Puerto Quetzal (Antigua)

Antigua Hop on and Hop off Bus was good but seemed rushed. The Jade factory was very interesting.

Puerto Vallarta

Have been there many times so we just walked around. Still enjoyed ourselves.

Cabo San Lucas

Just walked around had a good lunch at one of the cafés.

Los Angeles

We live in San Diego and I’ve been to Los Angeles many times. LA is LA!

Beach

The water was a little rough to snorkel and we got dragged over some coral, having minor injuries, but still a relaxing day on the beach.

Bonaire

A relaxing day at the beach with snorkeling along the inner reefs seeing many types of fish.

dservetter