3. Caribbean Princess
Have been on many other Princess Cruises but had not tried the Caribbean Princess. I read good and bad reviews and will now share my review. We started off in Fort Lauderdale....we flew in the same day of the cruise. Took the Princess Shuttle and was at the port in a timely manner. Our Embarkation was very smooth. We had ordered our medallions ahead of time but still needed to get checked in. I will start off by saying the medallion is a bit heavy. I wore mine around my neck and we needed to have the ship card so both of these made it a little uncomfortable. I did not want to spend additional money for necklace or a watch for the medallion. I had the medallion on the Regal in November.. However, I did not have any issues with opening the door. This time on the Caribbean half the time when going to the door the medallion would not work and I had to place my medallion on the screen that is on the wall before the door. We did like that we could order breakfast from our phone to our room and we liked that we could see what was going on for the day even if we did not have our patter. Other than those items we didn't use it for anything else. I read about a funny smell on the ship. Well I could smell this on our first day. After that we either got used to it or it went away. Our room was comfortable and adequate. Our bathroom had a funny urine type smell not sure what that was because it seemed pretty clean. We had cabin A747 which has a large balcony. We really enjoyed this balcony and the room. There was more than enough room for all our items and the tv was nice and large. We do enjoy watching the movies late at night that Princess has on the tv. They also have some great travel series that we enjoyed as well. Our bed was very comfortable and I slept well every night. The pillows were also great! Our room steward was ok. Nothing extra. When I asked for a robe after we got there he said we had to wait a day. I did not bring a robe so I called the front desk and one was brought to me right away. One thing we did extra this time was the Ultimate Balcony Dining. It was $100 but so worth it. I ordered this online and then called room service when we got to the ship. A room service rep came to our room and from there we decided on the date we wanted to have our dinner. We were then given a drink menu and we were both able to select an alcoholic drink (we were also given a small bottle of champagne with dinner) Then you are given a menu. We chose the canapes, crab cake, salad, filet and lobster. The dinner comes with bread and butter and an amazing dessert. They also give you a tray of 12 goodies like fudge squares, lemon tarts etc. There is a lot of food and it was cooked perfectly. How they serve it is a butler comes to your room and sets up a table on your balcony with a white tablecloth. He then put a beautiful vase with roses on the table and a pretty lit candle (not fire) He then brings you the courses one at a time and gives you enough time to enjoy each course. Then a photographer came and took pictures. When we went to see them the next day we were given a complimentary picture and we could select the one we wanted. We did not buy any of the other ones. Also they will work with you on changing the menu to adapt to any allergies you may have or if you just want something different then what is on there. They are very accommodating. I would do this again in a heartbeat!!! Our regular dining was at the Palm Dining Room which was on deck 6 aft. The engine was so loud that it made our chairs rumble under us. I did not care for this nor did my husband. The menu choices are ok on some days. But some days there was nothing I wanted on the menu so we went to the buffet. I wish Princess would put the strip steak back on the menu as a regular item. Then if there was nothing on that I liked I could at least have a steak (without paying extra) We did the first formal night. My husband wore a button down shirt with dress pants but no suit. I would say that on this sailing probably 70% of the men wore a suit and some had tuxes. I had a dressy dress. It is ok to dress without a suit if you so choose but I would at least dress pretty nice. The buffet is quite smaller then on the Regal or Royal but we did find some items we liked and there was some good desserts. The one day they had chocolate covered bananas and apples. The chocolate on the apple had coconut on it. I asked if they could make me one with no coconut and they did. It was wonderful!! We ate breakfast there on some mornings and found something we liked each time. We also ordered room service breakfast a few times which was also good and brought right at the time we ordered it. Our first port was Princess Cays. We had a beautiful day there. Since there was a fire the only drinks we had at the buffet were bottled water. The food trucks were all closed. Also at the bathrooms the water pressure was down so you had to hold down the handle of the toilet for a little bit to get it to flush. You also washed your hands from a big jug they brought. It was fine considering the fire they had. We were just happy to enjoy the beach day!! The second port was Puerto Rico. We did not do a tour but walked the city. We went to both forts and to a beautiful church. We did a little shopping and stopped at a delicious pizza place called Pirillo pizza..which was not to far from the port. Loved this port and happy we had a long day to enjoy it. The third port was Amber Cove. I have been here a few times but my husband had not so we took a tour through Princess. It was the Heritage tour with lunch. We saw dancers, at Don Carlos Ranch. We had a traditional lunch there which was actually pretty good. It was a type of stew with chicken in it and a side of rice. At the ranch we learned about many different types of trees and fruits trees. We also went to a chocolate factory and a cigar bar. We met a lot of nice people on this tour. I was stung by a wasp and one of the guys on our bus brought me a bag of ice to put on the sting. Another woman offered to have me come to her room for some lotion to put on the sting. I have to say this bus had such caring people on it. I was very thankful. Our tour guide had to do a report and said someone at Princess would contact me. No one ever did. Kinda bummed about that since it was there tour. The final port was Turks and Cacos. We got off the ship and walked around a bit but nothing interested us so we decided to go back on board and enjoy the pool. We had the pick of the seats and we had a nice relaxing day. The Casino if you enjoy playing in the casino and winning this is not the place for you. If you enjoy playing and can handle losing a lot then go for it. I was on the ship as a VIP player. I was really disappointed in the slots and that no one was winning. I won't say how much I played but this is this was not even real to not win anything with the amount I spent. Casino Medallion. Be careful using your medallion on this ship. I saw a few issues with my own eyes with using the medallion and how there can be errors with it. The women next to me sat down at her machine. She put in cash. She played for awhile and wanted to cash out and asked me what to do. I said to hit the cash out. Then she said the name on the screen was not her name. I said omg you need to call the attendant. Here the person before her cashed out but it did not cash him out and she started playing and she ended up playing on his account and not hers. She had to get the staff to go into the machine and correct it. Had she not asked me and hit the cashout button all her money would have gone in his account. A machine behind me had the same issue...it would not cash the person out and they had already left the machine. A person wanted to play it and waited a little bit to see if someone was coming back. She waited about 15 minutes then called an attendant who fixed it and gave the new person playing the money that was left on the machine. I don't think they should have done this. And I went to play at a quick hit machine and no one was on it. But when I looked at the screen there was a person's name on it. It cashed them out but it should have timed them out. So make sure when you leave a machine that your machine is totally cashed out or you could lose your money. I would go on this ship again. The staff was very nice and very accommodating for the most part. I also understand The Caribbean Princess will be going to dry dock this year and will be getting a family splash zone on deck 17. That should be great for the kids!!

Enjoyable cruise except for Casino

CUontheC’s Full Rating Summary
Get Caribbean Princess price drops

Balcony
Cabin BD A747
Cabin was adequate for our needs. The bed was very comfortable...the tv large and the balcony was pretty cool. It was a larger angled balcony. Our bathroom had a funny urine smell to it when we got there. It was cleaned and did not smell as bad.
I would choose this room again and have the steward clean it better.
Aloha Deck Inside Cabins, Balcony Cabins, Suite Cabins