3. Norwegian Sun
Chose this ship because of the pricing and its itinerary(both what we all wanted.) Went to Buenos Aires for 4 days ahead and toured city on our own. Highly recommend doing that. Transfer to ship on Feb 2 was easy and well organized by Ship. Just need a private taxi organized by your hotel. No need for NCL to do that. Food: I liken this experience to going to perhaps a favorite restaurant of yours that has good food, good service, but gives you nothing as a reminder that it was a memorable meal. The food was "fine", plentiful, and had many choices. They put in many specialty restaurants, so there were times when it was impossible to find a place to sit for lunch or breakfast if everyone was trying to eat at the same time. The food tasted okay, but again, can't think of any meal that we ate that we truly enjoyed both for the quality and experience(with the exception of Cagneys and the Argentinian restaurant which you pay extra for.) Having said that, no one got ill, we all ate well, and overall I guess we decided we got what we paid for. We brought on 2 bottles of wine from BA that we drank on the ship. You could purchase a bottle of wine at the dinner table for the $30-50 range easily. Our room was on the 9th floor, towards the back port side. When they docked in the mornings, our room really shook from the side thrusters. MIght enjoy a room away from that more. The balcony was a nice feature. The bedroom cabin was fine. One bed had a newer mattress and mine was older and sagged in the middle. Room was very clean and the housekeeper was very friendly. We took this trip because of the stops. We were very pleased with our daily outings that we chose. Lots of penguin stops and lots of wildlife to see. The natural scenery was spectacular. Out of the 14 days, we only had 7 stops. So there's lots of at sea time. I thought the daily offerings on the ship were very poor and marginal. Most days we could not find anything of interest. Folding napkins and making origami doesn't do it for us. We would have appreciated lectures on the wildlife, countries, and history of the places we went to see. I also am not interested in paying to play bingo, or gamble, or spend my time at a bar. Lots of bars and lots of drinking going on on this ship, though not a "younger" crowd so things were relatively calm. Also remember the weather is cold even in summer, so some days at sea sitting by the pool or outside was not possible. We even hot quite a storm in the Pacific with 50 foot waves for 1/2 a day. Would I go again? I would probably try to find a more upscale ship, but of course then I would have to accept the pricing with that.

You get a "solid" experience for what you pay, but don't expect "5-star" quality

Norwegian Sun Cruise Review by hughes.kristine