Norwegian Jewel Cruise Review

Norwegian Jewel Cruise Review by KruiserKev

• Sail Date: Dec 2018
  • Destination: Australia & New Zealand
  • Cabin Type: Mid-Ship Balcony

The 1st cruise sailed from Sydney on Dec 1, 2018 to Dec 13, 2018. The 2nd cruise sailed from Sydney on Dec 13, 2018 to December 20, 2018.

We chose these cruises because we liked the itineraries. We purchased a specialty dining package.

We were infected by a norovirus along with other passengers. On the second day in the main dining room, I was given a drinking glass that was obviously used by a previous guess (fruit juice at the bottom/covered finger prints). I was disgusted. I brought it to the attention of the waiter. At that point it was obvious why there was a norovirus infecting passengers.

We had prime rib in O'Sheehan's. That was well below anything we had been served on other cruise lines. On one occasion, in the main dining room, I ordered a veal dish but was served 2 link sausages. Whether they were veal, I could not tell.

The cabin stewardess (stateroom no. 9594) did not introduce herself to us. From a card in a cabin, we found out her name but her direct line was 00 which did not link to her directly. We could not contact her when we were missing tissue paper, towels, coffee cups or coffee.

We met the cabin stewardess outside the cabin and asked for 2 robes and a coffee maker. The bath robes arrived wrinkled. One was missing a belt, the other one had stains. The coffee maker came with an unfitted top which made it impossible to pour. We did not feel welcomed by the stewardess.

This was our 7th cruise, but it is the first one that never offered filet mignon or lobster tail in the complimentary dining. Lobster was not offered even in specialty restaurants.

KruiserKev's Full Rating Summary

Mid-Ship Balcony
Cabin BA 9594

The ship was recently refurbished. Cabins were generally in good condition.

Auckland

We visited all the attractions we wanted to see. We also took a ferry ride to Devonport which was lovely.

Tauranga

We found this tour from I-Site office a short walk from the pier. The driver provided entertaining narrative.

Napier

We took a free shuttle to the town. We enjoyed the art deco buildings.

Wellington

The cable car ride was short and the scenery did not meet our expectation.

Wellington

We enjoyed the hop-on hop-off bus that we found through the I-Site office.

Akaroa

We booked it through I-Site. The view of Duvauchelle was beautiful.

Dunedin

We book the tour through I-Site which was not far from the port. We should have taken the train ride to see Larnach Castle but we worried that we did not have enough time.

KruiserKev