3. Norwegian Jade
I am so disappointed in my first Norwegian cruise experience. My husband and I (and 2 other couples) set sail out of Miami on the Norwegian Jade (feb 11, 2019) We have cruised Royal Caribbean multiple times and done one carnival cruise. I will never do a Norwegian Cruise again. Not even if I won it! The main issue with this cruise was customer service. No one even attempted to fake a smile except the check in staff at the port BEFORE getting onto the boat, the sweet hand washing lady out front of the garden café (wakey wakey eggs and bakey, washy washy) lol, and the spa staff. That's it! literally no one else. I'll address this more as I go on. Getting onto the boat was the smoothest process. quick. easy. and like I said before the staff was friendly at this point. But as soon as we got on board everything went wrong. I thought the ship was nice and cabin size was average. at around 6pm we had most of our luggage and finished unpacking but by 7:00 we were still missing a suitcase and we wanted to get dressed and go to dinner but didn't have our things. I flagged down a random attendant who told us all the luggage was handed out and that I probably had something I shouldn't have had in my bag. excuse me? so I went to the front desk and they said the same thing! accused me of putting something in my bag and took me to the unclaimed baggage area where my luggage still could not be found, so I was told that it was probably just delivered to another floor and we should just wait that someone would turn it in. after 3 trips to the desk it showed up at almost 9pm after I had already borrowed shower stuff from my friends. In the mean time, our room lights would not turn on. and when a staff member just happened to walk by she showed me that the switch had to be turned off on off on and punched just right to come on, lol. the safe didn't work at all and couldn't be fixed and no one came to even look at it for hours after we called. The stateroom attendant kept our room made up but I only saw her twice in passing. She didn't know our names or ask if we needed anything. I had to leave her notes repeatedly to ask her to replenish the water bottles. Our first stop was to Key West which was as expected (i've been 3 or 4 times). Next to Harvest Caye which is Norwegians private island. BE AWARE that it is NOT INCLUDED. so no free food, no free drinks. you had to pay for it all. the pool was nice but I didn't take a cruise to go to a pool on an island! the ocean didn't even look like the Caribbean. the beach looked very man made. almost like the shore of the river in my home town but clearer. absolutely not what I was expecting for this stop, but I'm going to take responsibility for that since I didn't research it much. I like surprises! good ones anyway. last stop was Costa Maya. we took a cab to Yaya beach club (7 min drive) where we snorkeled with a business called Dr. Dive. John was our snorkel guide and he was amazing. we felt safe in that area. we saw hundreds of colorful fish and star fish and coral and sponges and eels, and sea turtles!. This day was incredibly fun and beautiful and everything you could want for a relaxing day at the beach. after we got back on the boat from the Costa Maya we were greeted by the most god awful smell in our stateroom. a mixture of sewage and vomit that turned out to be coming from the air vent. We couldn't stand to be in the room and sat out in the hallway for over an hour with 6 of our stateroom neighbors who also couldn't stand the smell, all while I thought it was being investigated. A staff member eventually came by and sprayed air freshener and said that hopefully in would get better when the ship started moving again. I cannot make this up. around 8pm there was a follow-up CALL asking if the smell was still there, which thankfully it was not and had been replaced by a much more tolerable smoky/burning smell. there was a knock at the door at 9pm with a 15 dollar bottle of red wine that i don't drink. it was handed to my husband and she just shut the door behind her. No, I'm sorry this happened to you? no, oh is wine ok? is there anything else I can do for you instead? . I guess it still counts as effort though right? now, on to the pool deck.....it was nice. 2 average sized pools that weren't too crowded. one which was adult only, but Just be aware that they do not have enough lounge chairs around the pool or top deck for half the people on the cruise and some days we had to stand around till someone left. The biggest disappointment here was the bar staff. No one came around to the upper deck to ask if you wanted a drink EVER! people formed a line to the bar! a line!! and on the 2 at sea days we had to wait 20 minutes in line to order a drink because there were only 2 bartenders up there both days. My friends and I are in our 30's and although I wouldn't describe us as the young crowd Id say we were amongst the youngest on the ship. the music around the pool definitely reflected that and there were only a handful of times where I wanted to get up and dance..this goes for the night club DJ CeeJay as well. if your idea of dancing includes a Taylor swift remix then by all means sign right up for this cruise. Maybe the boat was understaffed? because like I mentioned earlier no bar staff came to the upper pool deck ever and rarely to the trivia or at the shows. and when they did they did not ask you if you needed anything. they just didn't make eye contact and walked around with napkins and empty trays until you flagged them down and asked them. it felt like I was burdening them the whole time! also be aware the bars at the trivia areas don't open till 4! so you would have to order your drink somewhere else and carry it across the boat. when you pay for the unlimited drink package and cant actually use it its very frustrating. lastly, the food. to quote one of my friends, "man I would kill for some McDonalds and a dr pepper right now." (there's only Pepsi products) The buffet at the Garden Cafe (we ate here for breakfast and lunch) was really good. for dinner we ate mostly at the Grand Pacific and Alizar (they share a menu) and although the appetizers and soups were delicious the main courses fell short. comparable to lean cuisine. I heard the specialty restaurants were really good so I would recommend doing those! I did eat sushi one night and it was the best sushi I've ever had! but other than that I couldn't believe the taste. no one greeted us. every night it was "are you ready to order" and this was not by the same server. each one was the same. they never smiled. you had to ask for a bartender to bring you a drink, no one just automatically asked. when you didn't eat something they just removed it and didn't ask if you wanted something else. getting off the boat was a little bit of a hassle but hardly worth mentioning. the walk off time of 7:30 turned into about 8:30 since apparently everyone else also had this in mind and the line to get off was wrapped all the way around the boat. Regardless of all this, if anyone had of just said I'm so sorry, what can we do to help?, do you need a drink? is there anything we can do to make your stay more comfortable? I see you didn't eat your salad, can I get you something else? hows your cruise going? how's your day? I'm here to help or anything like that it would have been so much more tolerable. heck I think if people had of just smiled at me I would have let it all go!!!

The staff. was. MISERABLE!!!!

Norwegian Jade Cruise Review by CRNAjenn