3. Grandeur of the Seas
We chose this cruise for two reasons - to get out of the cold for 13 days and we did not have to fly to get to the port. Embarkation and disembarkation were a breeze; no issues whatsoever. We are frequent cruisers and this was about our tenth cruise on Royal and the oldest ship we have ever been on. The Grandeur's age was not a factor. She was clean and surprisingly in better shape than expected. You cannot compare a ship of this age with all the bells and whistles the new ones have, and we do prefer ships of this size. Daytime activities were lackluster and uninteresting. If you weren't into trivia, line dancing, art auctions/lectures or drinking, there was not much to do. With three sea days going and returning to port, a lot more could have been offered. Many activities had an upcharge. I attended a cupcake decorating class for $25, which included decorating one cupcake and making a frog out of fondant - really??? It was an outrageous amount for that. The entertainment staff was average at best and the cruise director, although a very nice man, was not cruise director material. It was uncomfortable listening him at times. Unable to book a balcony cabin for the first time, we had an oceanview cabin on Deck 2. Surprisingly, we really liked the location and brightness of the cabin and did not miss a balcony at all. My only complaints were a very small shower and a curtain which never stayed in place. The other issue was a terrible smell coming from both the sink and shower drains. It was not pleasant at all. Service was outstanding on this ship. The crew was wonderful and was always willing to do anything they could for you. The Windjammer is appropriately named - always jammed. We ate in the dining room most of the time. Food in the dining room was good, not great. No excursions for us this trip; we took advantage of a beautiful beach at every port as the weather was beautiful. All in all, I'm not sure I would do this itinerary or ship again. I think once was enough for us although there were many, many repeat cruisers on board. There is a great advantage in not having to fly.

Great Itinerary, not so great ship.

Grandeur of the Seas Cruise Review by Deenkid