3. Carnival Sensation
We went on the Carnival Sensation Western Caribbean cruise. The ship is one of their older and smaller ships, but we paid the extra for a room with an external view, and so we liked our cabin. On the first day, we went to the Lido deck for the buffet-style lunch, and the food was *terrible*. I had an eggplant dish that was burned and mushy, which suggests that it was totally overcooked. My wife got a sandwich from the deli bar, and she thought it was awful too. We (of course) never ate the buffet food on the Lido deck after that point. The food in the main "Fantasy" dining room was very good. On the last evening, though, my wife ordered the lobster tails as a treat (for a $20 surcharge), and she ended up with diarrhea the following morning. Word to the wise - *don't* order the lobster tails. They were clearly frozen (rather than fresh), and they contained some kind of pathogen that made my wife sick. The breakfast service was usually slow (in the Fantasy Dining Room), which was a problem on mornings when we had an excursion and had to be ready by a particular time. On one morning, the waiter took our order (after a long delay) and brought our food, but he *never* came back to our table. I had to go to the fruit bar myself to get some fruit for our table, even though only the waiters were supposed to go there. The Cruise Director was energetic and funny, and the comedy shows were good. The musical entertainment was good as well. I rate this experience as "average," because it was such a balance of good and bad.

Good Cruise, Mixed Service, Mixed Food

Carnival Sensation Cruise Review by drew_cruiser

drew_cruiser’s Full Rating Summary
Get Carnival Sensation price drops

• Stingray Swim
    The stingray experience was awesome. The boat ride to the sandbar took around 30 minutes, and then we got to interact with and feed the stingrays. The handler worked with one of the larger stingrays, and we all took pictures. We really enjoyed this part of the excursion.
    View All 704 Stingray Swim Reviews
  • Turtle Farm
    It rained heavily on the day of our excursion (in Grand Cayman), and so we couldn't do the turtle swim. We did visit the turtle education center and got to find out about the turtles (and hold the younger sea turtles), but we weren't able to do one of the highlights of that part of the excursion. The staff at the turtle education center were *very* helpful, in terms of explaining about the turtles. There is also an aviary on the turtle farm, and so we got to see some native birds. The staff in the aviary were also very helpful and happy to answer questions. I give this an "average" score primarily because we were looking forward to the turtle swim and were disappointed that we couldn't do it.
    View All 295 Turtle Farm Reviews
  • Miami
    We checked in online before boarding the cruise, so the boarding process was very smooth.
    View All 2,350 Miami Cruise Port Reviews
    View Cruise Critic's Miami Cruise Port Review

For the Grand Cayman part of our cruise, I recommend the Stingray Swim excursion. That was a great experience. If you are eating in one of the main dining rooms and like your waiter, you can request that waiter for future meals. We did that for most of our dinners.