3. Norwegian Breakaway
We decided to do a ten day cruise for my 40th birthday as we always feel 7 days is just not enough time. In addtiion, the idea of leaving from New Orleans and experiencing the Mighty Mississippi sounded great! It was just me and my boyfriend and we had a mostly amazing time. I was not a fan of the embarkation at all. There were very little (if any) signs telling us what building to go into or who was the correct porter to drop our luggage off with. In fact, I along with another couple seriously hestitated handing off our luggage to a porter next to a cart because he had zero identification as a porter besides the metal cart he loaded our stuff into. When we walked into the Norwegian building it was absolute chaos as we had to ask a staff member where we go (as there were no signs) only to find a line mashed in the middle of all the guests leaving on tour busses and cabs from the previous cruise. Once we finally were able to go through the doors to start the process (we stood in line for 45 minutes), the embarkation was pretty typical once we got through the doors so it was really the lack of signs or Norwegian staff to help that made it difficult. Once we got on the boat the first day was mostly excellent, until our suitcases arrived. I have a medium sized hard spinner luggage that weighed only 38 lbs (weighed at airport) and by the time it made it to our stateroom it was completely missing a spinner wheel on the back and was very beat up. This piece of luggages was in perfect condition when I handed it to the Porter and was only three years old. Now reality is, I have no clue who destroyed it but lets just say it was a real pain traveling home with a completely missing wheel at the end of the trip. The ship itself was awesome! I would love to travel on her again. We had a great steward and we LOVED Syd's Pour House. We could spend every night in that place when Guilty Pleasures was playing. I was not as big of a fan of the other band but the house band in there was amazing. We went to Burn the Floor, and it was not something we really liked. I love a story with a show and i just felt bored because it was just dancing and singing but I do know many on the ship loved the show. Rock of Ages was amazing, funny, and was the story I was already familiar with but production value was excellent. I think our love of this show was directly related to our age range as we grew up on this music!. Howl at the moon was enjoyable but i also think Norwegian's desire to keep it PG until 11:00 pm is slowly killing the ususal fun show, but again the crowd traveling on this 10 day trip was an older crowd than I was use to on other norwegian cruisese that may have had something to do with the overall tone of the Howl show. Food as usual was amazing. One major issue that did come up was, I had selected and paid for the Cirque dinner show the first day we were able to book the show online and scheduled my dinning package specialities as well. On the 2nd day of the trip, I received a letter from Norwegian in my stateroom stating that the previously schedule show date was no longer available and they moved our show/dinner to the next night. Well guess what, that was the date of my scheduled visit to a very popular specialty dinning. I went to Guest services who then handed me off to dinning reservations people, only to be told they could do nothing and it wasn't their fault. They didnt offer a credit or offer to call the box office. Just said oh just show up at specialty restaurant and they may be able to seat you. I was not happy and pretty much walked off. I then personally walked to the Box Office, and a wonderful man (I didnt catch his name) made a few phone calls and squeezed us in an oversold Cirque show to avoid missing the the teppanayki restaurant. He was so kind, and acted the way I had come to expect Norwegian employees to act. I believe even if he was unable to help, he made a few phone calls and really tried to make something work and I would have appreciated his efforts regardless. Not to mention he was able to squeeze us in on Valentine's Day.....I wish I had gotten his name as he was definately a vacation hero. Also, I will say is Michael who is a bartender at the pool bar, and also the most amazing ICE BAR bartender! My boyfriend and I were the only one's inside the ice bar and he made the 49 minutes we stayed in there one of the best times I had on the ship. He played some awesome music, made some super yummy drinks, took some awesome pictures or us, and just really made us not feel like we were the only people at the party. As for Excursion: prepare to be crammed into boats/vans/cars etc like a sardine. We went on an Olde Belize river tour and Altan Ha ruins. It was a great time, but the boat was so full it was difficult to enjoy. We were lucky as we got decent seats but I know others were upset because the boat was too full. Also, wee did a snorkel at barrier reef out of Harvest Caye, while the boat so full we thought it was a big mistake. One we reached the site, they have amazing guides onsite in the water that made the experience in the water so amazing. We were able to get some amazing video, and our guide even held his breath and went to bottom to record endangered species of fish he saw at bottom. It really was a great excursion and would recommend this to anyone. Overall this trip was amazing. I have loved Norwegian since my first time on one of their ships 5 years ago. I have gone on one Norwegian a year since then. Even with the issues that came up, the services, the spa, the bars, and the food are always amazing. I am bummed about my suitcase, but in the end this was a great 10 days for my birthday and I met some amazing people on our trip. I always remember that the worst day of vacation is usually better than your average day at home/work.

40th Birthday Cruise

Norwegian Breakaway Cruise Review by edwarce2

• Sail Date: February 2019
  • Destination: Western Caribbean
  • Cabin Type: Spa Balcony Stateroom

Food as usual was amazing.

edwarce2’s Full Rating Summary
Get Norwegian Breakaway price drops

Spa Balcony Stateroom
Cabin B9 14746
Cabin was perfect for two people. Only complaint is that there were only two outlets (US style) and 2 (European style). in the past i had mini suites and did not realize that we would only have two so make sure and plan ahead and bring outlets. Our steward Ulysses was amazing! From day one he was so great! He remembered our names and did some of the best towel animals I have ever received on a cruise.
Deck 14 Inside Cabins, Balcony Cabins, Suite Cabins