Viking Orion Cruise Review

Disappointing

Viking Orion Cruise Review by DianeLyn

• Sail Date: Jan 2019
  • Destination: Australia & New Zealand

I liked the original itinerary on Viking and that's why I chose it. After I had booked it, they eliminated Rotorua, New Zealand which was the stop I was looking forward to the most. They did give us a $500 per person credit, but I wouldn't have booked it if I had known. The included shore excursions, with the exception of Aukland, were terrible. Poor choices of what to see, boring details, and lasted far too long. I booked $1,000 worth of extra excursions and I enjoyed them. Also, I have cruised on both Crystal and Oceania and the food on both is excellent. Some meals on Viking were good, but most were only ok. The evening entertainment was also a disappointment compared to Crystal. The room I was in was noisy during sea days and nights. We were above a life boat and I believe that contributed to the noise. It may not have been fastened down securely and it was creaking. I did book a deep tissue massage and it was fantastic. Even though I wouldn't recommend Viking, everyone working on the ship was outstanding.

DianeLyn's Full Rating Summary

Auckland

The person telling about Auckland was very good. She had a sense of humor and told interesting facts.

Napier

Our tour guide was boring and gave details about the cost of almost every home on the road.

Wellington

The tour bus had dirty windows and the air conditioning and sound system weren't working properly.

Christchurch

This was a nice shore excursion and allowed for time to walk in the gardens and go to the Museum.

Hobart

You can feed the Kangaroos and get close to the Koala bear.

City Tour

It was an ok tour.

View All 45 City Tour Reviews
Melbourne

This was a wonderful sanctuary and the environment for the animals was great! You would have to pay extra to feed the Kangaroos, but since I had already done that in Bonorong, I didn't do it.

Sydney (Australia)

Wonderful smoking ceremony, but there wasn't shade and you had to sit on the ground or stand.

DianeLyn