3. Queen Mary 2 (QM2)
The boarding experience was delayed as the ship was not berthed at its regular dock as it was undergoing maintenance. We arrived 2 hours earlier than requested on the ticket so weren’t surprised about inevitable delays. We were on board by 1pm after arriving at 11am but were asked not to arrive until 2pm so all in all very successful. Every cruise I have been on since 1992 I have encountered moaning whingers generally in the older age category. Sadly this cruise was no exception. Some passengers complained the portion sizes were too small, some passengers complained the ship was too big (I completely failed to sympathise with that one). How can you complain about an itenery which is printed in the brochure? Yes if to set out to look for things to complain about then you will find them. For me this trip was one of the most amazing in my life, highlights were visits to Corinth, Bethlehem, Jerusalem, Dubai, Doha, Muscat, Phuket, Colombo, Penang and most amazing of all Singapore. Lowlights were Goa which wins my prize for being the filthiest place on the planet and the Indian government force you to buy an Indian visa at great expense even if you choose to stay on the ship. The ship is now 15 years old and there have been some changes since the maiden voyage which I was lucky enough to be on. The palm court (possibly the least successful room on the ship) has been transformed into the Carinthia Lounge which now feels like a proper space befitting a 5 star hotel. It’s previous incarnation was a rather tacky Las Vegas styled theme of a palm court which failed to convince me. The kings Court buffet area has been redesigned although personally I preferred the original arrangement of 4 separate themed dining zones offering different cuisines. Also the 2 glass lifts that used to arrive here from the grand lounge have been completely removed which is a real shame. I suppose the intention was to increase seating capacity but to my mind it wasn’t worth all the expense to gain a few extra tables. The insights lectures were absolutely fantastic celebrity guest speakers included Michael Parkinson, Peter Snow and Reza Muhhamed alongside about 8 other guest speakers and port lectures. Subjects were wide and varied. Entertainment was excellent with the usual singers, dancers, musicians, cabarets, comedians and a group on board developing a musical called AmDram for production in London. With so many sea days I was concerned about having enough to do but the real challenge was prioritizing what’s I wanted to do as often I wanted to go to several events at the same time. Dining room service was excellent and food good, our waiter Caesar quickly learned our preferences and used to bring me 2 steaks every time I ordered after I asked once if I could have a large one (I think they now employ accountants in the kitchen to slice up the meat). The portion sizes are carefully controlled to minimize wastage which I don’t object to. If you are particularly hungry the top tip is to order a main course in lieu of a starter. The carpets in many areas have been changed. Foolishly a pale cream carpet has been fitted to many passenger cabins. Not surprisingly these show every spot of coffeee, tea or bodily fluids which inevitably end up getting spilled on them. I asked to have my carpet shampooed after arrival which helped although in reality it’s time to replace these carpets again and sack whoever authorized their installation in the first place. The main cabin corridor carpets used to be a deep beautiful swirling design of red, black and cream. Sadly these have all been replaced with something much inferior which reminds me of a printer that has run out of ink halfway through printing a page. Much more suited to a cross channel ferry than a luxury liner. I wonder if this is P&O management interference. It would be so much better to have the original carpet designs and quality reinstated everywhere (the accountant has been at work here too penny pinching I fear) The Queens Room remains beautiful and I opted to attempt to learn ballroom dancing in here (1215 on every sea day) These were very popular and I grasped the cha cha but failed at the quick step ! Outside deck areas are extremely generous and you NEVER fail to find a deck chair or sun bed in a quiet spot (deck 12 or 13 good for this) all decks are covered in teak and immaculately maintained. The deck chairs themselves would benefit from overhauling. Another stupid decision what to varnish these rather than to oil them. The cabins are a good size, ours 11137 had a glass balcony screen. Cabins on deck 4,5 and 6 are “sheltered” which in essence means solid steel below the handrail. I would have preferred a made to order facility in the buffet, this could easily be accomplished in the chefs galley perhaps noodles or Indian dishes prepared. At the end or our cruise in Singapore we very much wanted to stay on for longer. We had a great table of 10 in the dining room and it was sad to say goodbye.

Fantastic cruise experience legs one and two of 2019 world voyage

Queen Mary 2 (QM2) Cruise Review by *marineboy

*marineboy’s Full Rating Summary
Get Cunard Queen Mary 2 (QM2) price drops

Balcony
Cabin BB 11137
Spacious cabin with curved edges, adequate wardrobe space and nicely appointed. Cream carpets show every spot and we’re a stupid choice. Ask to have your carpet shampooed on arrival if not satisfactory.
Deck 11 Inside Cabins, Balcony Cabins, Suite Cabins