Fantastic Legend: Seabourn Legend Cruise Review by margbem

Seabourn Legend 5
Member Since 2007
1,052 Forum Posts

Overall Member Rating

Fantastic Legend

Sail Date: March 2010
Destination: Southern Caribbean
Embarkation: Fort Lauderdale (Port Everglades)
We flew from the UK to Orlando with Virgin Atlantic. Good, direct flight, no complaints except for the fact that my husband had his windproof jacket stolen from the zipped pocket of our case. We stayed at the Hyatt Regency right in the airport then went to Downtown Disney for something to eat and to keep us awake - the cold did that!

Took the 7.30am Southwest flight to Fort Lauderdale. Why are their flight attendants so amusing? Flight was fast and so low we had a wonderful view of the coast all the way down. We were at our hotel by 8.45am and left our cases. Lovely and sunny day, spent travelling on the water taxi and wandering. Ate at the Casablanca Cafe at the top of the street. Excellent food and great atmosphere.

After a morning walk we called a cab and set off for the pier. Only two or three ships in and the Legend was there, looking as beautiful as she did in the Med last September! Embarkation took about 5 minutes, then we were escorted aboard into the King More Olav, handed a fruit cocktail which we didn't get chance to drink as we were dealt with really quickly and taken to our suite, number 103. We opened the champagne and our cases arrived soon after, so within half an hour we had unpacked and were ready to be treated for the next week! Our onboard credit notification, silver wine package and welcome letter were there on the dressing table. No hosted table dinner invitation! Oh dear - we really enjoyed those last time we were on the Legend. A couple of times later in the week we did get invited to dine with staff and really enjoyed it. It's one of the things that makes Seabourn great, in our opinion.

Sailaway was breezy and not very pretty, bearing in mind our last cruise departed from Monte Carlo! We talked to a few people as everyone was very friendly.

At lifeboat drill we met a nice couple from London who we then sat with for dinner that evening. We weren't disappointed with the food - just as good as last time. Nothing is too much trouble for the staff - ask and you will get it. We were very impressed when we went in to the Veranda Cafe for breakfast next morning and were greeted by name by some of the staff - they had remembered us! Another lovely touch.

First day was a sea day and the weather was kind although throughout the cruise there was 'motion in the ocean' as Captain Anderssen kept telling us! Went to join a Trivia team, leaving husband sunbathing. Did quite well and I answered a couple of questions that the others didn't know so I felt I earned my place! Next day we played again and hubby came with me. We finished that round in the lead, due to our team captain Kevin and his Mum, Ann, knowing lots of things that the rest of us had no clue about!

We arrived at Grand Turk at lunchtime the next day but the weather changed just as we did so and it rained. We walked along the beach, round the corner and had the beach to ourselves. It was less windy there and the sea not as choppy. Another sea day followed and weather not good - quite cool and windy and sea fairly choppy so seasickness tablets purchased from the Purser! Trivia final was nail-biting but we won! Received black Seabourn tote bags as prizes which I now use with pride! Husband went to a wine tasting after lunch hosted by the Sommelier which was excellent.

Jost Van Dyke was the next stop and we went on a catamaran sail and snorkel. Well, husband snorkelled. I climbed down the ladder into the sea then climbed back up again as it was too rough for me! Enjoyed the trip, but people complained that they should have had fins (flippers to us from the UK) so we had a partial refund of the cost of the trip. Went on the beach by the Soggy Dollar Bar in the afternoon and swam again. Beautiful sunshine, a few clouds and very hot. Perfect!

Next day we toured St Kitts with Kate and Don who we met on CC and who are now firm friends! Had a lovely day with Roosevelt Taylor. Lunched at Rawlins Plantation, visited the batik factory and had a look at Ottleys Plantation too. Bought coconut rum at the port shops and then back on board for Sailaway. Wonderful trip through all the islands and a fantastic sunset. Our trip to Prickly Pear Island on the last day was the most disappointing - it was cloudy, windy and rainy so the beach barbecue and our trip to the Baths were both cancelled. However, the galley lunch was fantastic! How do they do it? They also arranged for people to visit a resort on a nearby island if they wanted. We disembarked in Charlotte Amalie, most upset at leaving the ship and our new friends, especially knowing that they were staying on her for another week. We then stayed on St Thomas for the rest of the week. Weather was mixed again so we were disappointed with our Caribbean experience, weather-wise, but delighted with Seabourn again.

Just to mention a few highlights: Jez, the chef, was very high profile and all the food was excellent. We ate twice in Restaurant 2 on the Tasting nights and it was outstanding. Captain Anderssen was his usual amusing self and also always about chatting to people and keeping an eye on things. David E was very sociable but we missed Eric! Sam, the guitarist from England was brilliant. The whole ship was kept very clean and tidy and the staff and crew are fantastic. We made some very good friends and ate and drank far too much with them (and without them!) The wine choices were good and if you didn't like what was served you only had to ask and you would be brought what you wanted. To summarise - another brilliant cruise. Thank you, Seabourn. We'll be back! Less

Published 03/26/10

Cabin review: A103

Read more Seabourn Legend cruise reviews >>
Read Cruise Critic’s Seabourn Legend Review >>
Member Since 2007
1,052 Forum Posts
Enrichment Activities
Family & Children
Fitness & Recreation
Onboard Experience
Public Rooms
Shore Excursions
Value for Money