3. Silver Explorer
Our cruise onboard the SilverSeas Explorer was spectacular from start to finish. The ship, crew, food, Captain and Expedition staff were all first rate. It is very hard to describe the feeling you get when visiting Antarctica. I was just in awe of the beauty and power of nature. We arrived independently so I can not speak to the travel arrangements made by SilverSeas. The port of Ushuaia is a working port and does not allow taxis, which we were unaware of but we did make it to the ship! The ship was beautifully maintained. Our suite 503 was kept spotless by our wonderful cabin attendant and butler. The daily "debriefing" and numerous lectures were held in The Exploder's Lounge. The maître d' Julia was incredible. I really believe she had memorized nearly everyone's name by the second day! There was buffet service for breakfast and lunch. Always some special to order at both meals. Plentiful staff to carry your plate. I don't drink but plenty of wine was being poured at lunch and dinner. The wine steward was more then happy to supply us with ice tea. I am a vegetarian and found the food varied and very good. All the staff knew you by your name by day three or four! The Expedition staff was well trained and had many varied areas of expertise.. Led ably by JD, we were placed in four colored groups and rotated our times to go ashore via zodiacs or go for a zodiac ride. Gearing up and heading out was unlike anything I have ever experienced. The weather was amazing and the seas were mainly very calm. Due to the weather, ice and skill of the Captain we sailed across the Antarctic Circle.We attempted to visit the Vernadsky Station but the ice stopped us. We did visit the harbor in Zodiacs. We saw so much wildlife! Penguins, Albatross, whales and seals. The icebergs were incredible and the clouds! I can not say enough about the service onboard SilverSeas. I would not hesitate to take another SilverSeas cruise. We disembarked ourselves at 900 am. SilverSeas provided a shuttle to Ushuaia.

Amazing cruise to Antaractic!

Silver Explorer Cruise Review by kathy9

• Sail Date: January 2019
  • Destination: Antarctica
  • Cabin Type: Silver Suite

We saw so much wildlife! Penguins, Albatross, whales and seals.

The icebergs were incredible and the clouds!

We disembarked ourselves at 900 am. SilverSeas provided a shuttle to Ushuaia.
kathy9’s Full Rating Summary
Get Silversea Silver Explorer price drops

Silver Suite
Cabin SL 503
This cabin was amazing. Two rooms and a walk in closet. The bathroom was fantastic for a cruise ship. The bed was super comfortable. The free laundry with same day service! Two french door baloncies complete this amazing space.
Deck 5 Suite Cabins