3. Harmony of the Seas
Arrived in Ft. Lauderdale the night before the cruise. Stayed at the Hampton Inn in Pompano Beach. I was too lazy to walk to get 2 bottles of wine, nearest supermarket was about a mile away. Small but cozy gym, nice free breakfast. Embarkation was smooth, granted in wasn't 10 quick minutes like some say but it was efficient. The long line moved fast and we were on the ship maybe 20 minutes after dropping our bag off with a very helpful attendant. First stop was to get a wow band. Worth the $5. Stopped by guest services to update credit cards on file. There were about ten people in line and the line was quick. At 1pm rooms were ready. The room was what I expected from numerous videos on youtube. The bathroom was smaller to me than it appeared on video. The bathroom had bar soap only so if you are like me and use a loofa bring your own bodywash. The bed was comfortable, closet space was more than adequate. The view from the room was okay. RCC list the room as a partially obstructed view. We had a slightly obstructed view of the aqua theater, an ocean view (so much so that we will book a boardwalk room again instead of ocean view) and the perfect spot for my wife to record me on the zipline. Props to I Ketut our cabin steward. He did a great job. One of our first stops was Vitality Spa. I was looking forward to getting the couples relaxation package for $150. The price went up to $199 once on board. We still considered it but passed once we took a tour of the relaxation area. I really think the sauna area is one of the weakest areas on the ship. The fitness area itself is nice. It has life fitness and hammer strength machines. I really didn't pay attention to the treadmills etc. The gym was packed on day 2 but had less and less people on following days. Hated the bathroom at the gym, I could not get the automatic door to shut and the next nearest bathroom was on the 5th floor. (granted I may have missed a bathroom but needed to go). The Vitality bar was good. I think the juices are much better than the smoothies. The carrot lemonade was my go to drink. Props to Ferdinand my mix master. First meal was at the Solarium, it was ok. We just wanted a snack before going to the mdr. We ate dinner there on day four. The steak was a little rough but the dinner has menu options and a buffet. Best lamb meatballs I ever had. The desserts were better there then at Windjammer. Ate dinner Grande mdr on the 4th floor. I was really disappointed. The shrimp cocktail I ordered had 4 (41-60 count) shrimp and the wait staff poured cocktail sauce on your plate. The ceasar salad was plain the meal was ok but was not what I expected for the "luxury meal". We tried the mdr on day 2 and was also disappointed. Next time I won't do the my time dining because it was really a boring experience. Also the other nights menus seemed more to my liking but it just wasn't worth the effort. Dinner was a more joyous occasion on Carnival. Izumi's was our dinner choice for day 3. Wonderful experience. This is what dinner on a cruise should be like. Day 4 was the Solarium I talked about above. Days 5 - 7 was Windjammer. The Caribbean themed night was awesome. The other nights it was just a good dinner with plenty of options. On day 7 we had breakfast in the mdr. That was the best breakfast on the ship, it is worth the lines to go there for breakfast. Windjammer was ok, Johnny Rockets for breakfast was weak. Lunch at Johnny Rockets was pretty good. Our Enrichment Activities included cupcake decorating and wine tasting. The wine tasting was great. Our host was knowledgable. I've been to about 20 wine tasting venues in my life but never with someone who had so much info. Best $17.70 I spent on the trip. The cupcake decorating class sucked. We were given some almond paste balls, some food coloring, frosting and a cupcake. We were directed on how to make a penguin character to stick on top of the cupcake, boring. I was expecting to learn how to decorate using frosting like the picture that described the class has. Worst $30 spent on the trip. Entertainment was great. I went to the aqua theater 3 times. The show was amazing. Grease was ok, my wife fell asleep during the show. I thought it was good. The comedy show was nice. I thought the lead act was better than the headliner. 1887 had great skaters and was entertaining. Columbus was just stupid. The jazz band was fantastic and I enjoyed one of the bands that played in Bolaros and in Dazzles for the last night of the cruise. The night clubs were ok. Guess at 57 yrs old the club scene is not for me but I danced my butt off anyway. The Hush party was better than the white party. I needed to make better entertainment choices on port days. We took a van around St Maarten. We stopped in a restaurant on the French side of the island for lunch. It was just ok. We walked around Puerto Rico and ate mufungo. It was ok. In Haiti we signed up for parasailing. It was cancelled due to weather but we were upgraded to zipline. That was fantastic. I really wanted to spend money in Haiti but the sales people were overbearing. Overall great trip, next up is Symphony Sept 2020.

Great cruise..detailed review

Harmony of the Seas Cruise Review by Rob on cruises

• Sail Date: February 2019
  • Destination: Eastern Caribbean
  • Cabin Type: Boardwalk View Balcony

Overall great trip, next up is Symphony Sept 2020.
Rob on cruises’s Full Rating Summary