• TRAVEL NOTICE: Learn more about COVID-19

Jane Cunningham
6-10 Cruises • Age 70s

Sail Date: Sep 2018
Cabin: Veranda Suite

I see SILVERSEA is getting mixed reviews. SILVERSEA advertises and charges in the ultimate luxury category but after two cruises, my experience is it is clearly not. I described our experience in a previous local post as: "misrepresented in the advertisement, lack of planning very evident, mismanaged on the ship, disregard for passenger interests, and the withholding of critical information." I saw a Facebook post that asked the question if anyone else is noticing the decline in SILVERSEA after the purchase by Royal Caribbean. Yes!!

We were on the SILVER SHADOW, leaving Tokyo on Sept. 28, 2018 and arriving in Hong Kong on Oct. 14. I see on your site that others on this same horrific boat ride posted very negative reviews. Trying to outrun two super typhoons was traumatic, but the way it was managed was much worse.

We kept our local upscale West Lake Hills, TX Travel Agency apprised throughout the ordeal followed by a thorough debriefing upon return. Clients expect a travel agency to be very knowledgeable and truthful with them on recommendations. I found that our agent continued to promote SILVERSEA even knowing of serious problems. I would recommend doing your own research by reading actual customer reviews on places like Cruise Critic.

Veranda Suite

Cabin V4

Cabin was outdated. Some dirty upholstery. Chair collapsed when I sat it in and I am small. Deck furniture was piled in our cabin while painting maintenance was done on our veranda and other cabins during the cruise. Other cabins had cabinets what were stuck and would not open. Silversea advertised the ship was refurbished in 2017. We were on this same ship in 2016 and 2018 and that was certainly not evident.

Port Reviews

Osaka

The Port at Osaka was cancelled by Silversea because of a super typhoon. Silversea failed to disclose in their advertising materials that this was typhoon season in the Far East.

Hiroshima

The museum emphasized the damage but made it look like the US caused the damage with no provocation by Japan.

Seoul (Incheon)

Silversea mismanaged this port and cancelled it telling passengers the Chinese government prohibited sailing directly from South Korea to China. A US Senator and Congressman checked and could find no policy of this kind and other cruise lines verified there was no policy like this and they sailed directly from South Korea to China during the same time period. Passengers speculated that perhaps the excursion we purchased from Silversea was actually unavailable on our port date and they wanted to hide it since it was a top port for passengers.

Beijing

Avoid Beijing the first week of October every year. Unfortunately Silversea did not and we had huge crowds. Very poor planning on the part of the cruise line. We toured Beijing on our own with a private tour guide, not with Silversea. Silversea did not offer an overnight into Beijing until at the last minute after we had already purchased our private tour. Very poor planning.

Tokyo (Yokohama)

I was unaware the ship offered excursions in the embarkation city.

2 Helpful Votes