3. Ruby Princess
I needed some cruise credits in my quest for Elite status, so I booked this 5 day trip to Cabo San Lucas, Mexico out of San Pedro, California and traveled solo. I'm 56 and married now for the past three years, so I don't usually get to go by myself anymore. Embarkation was flawless. I was very surprised not to have to wait in a "holding tub room" and within 10 minutes I was on the ship. Our rooms were not ready yet until 1pm, so I headed up to the buffet on deck 15. I thought the food quality was very good compared to the many other Princess Ships I have booked in the past. See, I know you guys can do it if you have the right management in place. The crew attitude and vibe of the ship is very nice. I decided to dine every night in one of the alternative restaurants. For $29, you can hardly beat the service and cordiality and relationship you build with the folks in the Crown Grille and at Share. If anything, it's just a bit too over the top. No fewer than six people asked me how my black and blue onion soup was. Did notice that some days it was just good and other days amazing. Consistency issue? The meat quality is more variable than I would like, but still pretty good, I'd give it a B+. Booked the Sanctuary the entire time. This was good at times, not so good at others. Basically the staff don't pay much attention to the passengers and it's not clear if you need to wait to be seated on your chair/bed or if you can just walk in. One day I got a glass of lemon water (as opposed to water with a little lemon) and an order for lunch taken, the next day was completely ignored. It was also quite cold up there the first and last days of the cruise - which of course they can't help. There's a policy in place I was previously unaware of as regards your room cabin - they won't clean it unless you are out of the cabin. I tend to work in the cabin in the mornings of bad weather days, and you should be aware of this if you are a business person. It would have been nice to know this when checking in to the room or at least see this policy in the stateroom handbook. The cabin attendant was a bit insistent on this. I went to the Purser's desk and they printed out a copy of this policy for reference as I wanted to hear it directly from the cruise line. I am glad some other cruise lines aren't picky about this - it would be tough if you had a senior or mobility impaired person who couldn't always make it out of the cabin in the morning. What gets refurbished and/or not is a bit mysterious to me. I'm guessing they have priorities. As far as I can tell, the bed was new (one of the new Princess beds). I had a "premium balcony" cabin that had a *huge* balcony. (Every day the steward would stack the deck chair on top of the foot rest. Bit of a mystery, so it won't blow away?) The room contains only the bed, a desk, a chair and a small table. Previous balcony cabins also had a sofa - not sure where that's gotten off to particularly in a "premium cabin." Ship has quite a few rusty spots and - this makes me laugh - the Promenade deck does not go all the way around the ship. I'd really like an enclosed deck for walking around the ship. Seems like it's easy to get lost - the Feng Shui not so good, kind of clunky on this ship. The Internet was hit-or-miss. I signed up for the daily package of unlimited Internet which is a new-ish thing. Sometimes it works great, sometimes not at all. I think it's a bit under-powered for the true Medallion Net experience (which has not been implemented yet) - heads have probably rolled and I am betting they are looking for a solution. Also, don't expect to use Sling TV outside the USA - it's blocked. Was successful streaming some Netflix shows. Tried to order room service on their website - nothing ever was delivered. Someone called to confirm all of my specialty restaurant appointments at 8:00 a.m. That seemed unnecessary and was not pleased about that. Tried to take a hot bath in the middle of the day a couple of times - no hot water. Did come on later. Probably cabin specific. Also my AC was not very good - but a quick call to engineering fixed that. Really these are small points, most of which could be fixed by better hotel and restaurant management. I had a good time on this cruise and would do this itinerary again. When you do California in February - bring your fleeces, it's a bit chilly and/or rainy.

Some rusty spots but honestly pretty good!

Ruby Princess Cruise Review by gridiron

• Sail Date: February 2019
  • Destination: Mexican Riviera
  • Cabin Type: Premium Balcony

gridiron’s Full Rating Summary
Get Ruby Princess price drops

Premium Balcony
Cabin B1 C432
Everything is in good shape. Two US electrical outlets. No couch where one is ordinarily present in this category of room. Balcony is very big, twice the size of normal it seems.
Caribe Deck Inside Cabins, Balcony Cabins, Suite Cabins