Riviera Cruise Review

Nice but experience has deteriorated

Riviera Cruise Review by discusdoc

• Sail Date: Jan 2019
  • Destination: the Caribbean
  • Cabin Type: Verandah Stateroom

I prefer cruises to interesting destinations. Caribbean cruises involve visiting tropical flea markets, but we enjoy the shipboard experience. We took an Oceania cruise to Alaska 6 months earlier and enjoyed it very much.

The food quality in the main dining room was not as good as our Alaskan cruise. It deteriorated markedly. The food quality and menu selection were disappointing. The specialty restaurants were superb, but Oceania limits the number of visits during each cruise. Also, the quality of room service also deteriorated. For example, the French onion soup at the specialty restaurant was excellent but barely edible for room service.

We had a balcony room. Because of its location, it was nearly twice as large as the others. The in-room television programming was terrible. Oceania cruisers are older and spend more time in the rooms. Three years ago, we took a Viking river cruise that had on-demand programming. Oceania needs to step up.

The Internet service is sub-par. Other companies have upgraded transmission speeds, and Oceania should keep up.

The gym is adequate. I suggest they invest in a variety of kettlebells. They also have a trunk flexion machine that damages the spine.

I enjoy playing video poker, but their machines are a rip-off. Installing some 9-6 machines wouldn’t impact their bottom line. I won’t play their machines, so they have no chance to take my money.

I like Oceania and have booked a cruise to Tahiti. However, if they don’t step up, we’re going to go with another company.

discusdoc's Full Rating Summary

Verandah Stateroom
Cabin B3 7002

Nice cabin with okay bathroom. Could have included more counter space. Shower was adequate— better than smaller ship.

discusdoc