Viking Orion Cruise Review

Very disappointing

Viking Orion Cruise Review by tzombes

• Sail Date: Dec 2018
  • Destination: Australia & New Zealand

Having cruised all major shipping lines over the past 30 years, I was thrilled to find Viking Orion cruising from Australia 30th December, 2018.

Having heard the standard of this ship was equal to the best I had travelled on previously, I booked & paid top price for our accommodation onboard.

By the end of the cruise, I was so disappointed with so many aspects of the cruise, I actually cancelled another booking I had for later in the next year.

My biggest disappointment was that, because it was a New Years Eve cruise, a date I cruise every year, to celebrate, I couldn't believe how little was offered on the night.

There was a countdown clock on the outside deck pool screen showing the time & then the wording Happy New Year displayed - & that was it. No balloons, no party hats, no whistles, no deck food etc - all the little things that go into making it a great night. The worst NYE I have ever experienced onboard a cruise ship.

No flowers, fruit, chocolates on pillow in stateroom. Buffets with so little choice, it was difficult to find something worth eating.

2 ports of call were missed out due to "bad weather". I feel so sorry for people who had travelled halfway around the world to see Australia & New Zealand & ended up mainly having sea days. Why, when we couldn't get into Lyttleton (for Christchurch) didn't we go to the safe harbour of Akaroa near by - as did one of the larger Princess cruise ships on the same day.

Viking, you have a great reputation with River Cruises - perhaps you should stick to them.

tzombes's Full Rating Summary

Cabin Penthouse Verandah 4016

Very good. Spacious & bright.

There was very little variety in the food offered in all areas of dining onboard.

Staff were friendly & ship was spotlessly clean.

tzombes