• TRAVEL NOTICE: Learn more about COVID-19

ajjack
10+ Cruises • Age 70s

Sail Date: Feb 2019
Cabin: Grand Suite

We were looking for an easy getaway cruise for a birthday celebration and living close to Tampa this fit our needs. Did not know what to expect because we know that Tampa does not get ships from the cream of the crop. The ship was a little dated but very clean and the condition exceeded my expectations. I thought the main dining room was only average and the specialty restaurants were good but not great. The exception was the Chef's Table which was fantastic. It was well worth the price with great food, plenty of wine, and a brief description of each of the 5 courses by the Chef. It was the perfect birthday dinner. Entertainment was ok and the production shows also exceeded my expectations. We had been to all the ports before with the exception of Costa Maya. This port was a tourist trap designed by the cruise industry and simply a place to stop in my opinion. On our port visit there were 2 of the mega ships so a total of 12,000 cruise passengers which totally overpowered the place. No room to walk much less spend anytime in the shops. We got back to the ship as quickly as possible and would never spend a minute in the place again. The only recommendation is to plan ahead and take a taxi to another part of the port and get away from the pier area.

Grand Suite

Cabin GS

Knowing that ships out of Tampa are older I was not sure what to expect. I was pleasantly surprised by the condition of the ship and our Grand Suite in particular. Very roomy and tons of storage; more than we could use. Nice large bathroom with tub and a great verandah. HOWEVER, the suites are on deck 8 directly under the Windjammer Cafe. Every night beginning around 4:45 to 6:00 AM the noise from cleaning and breakfast preparations were terrible. We asked about the noise and of course there was nothing to be done about it. They gave us a bottle of wine for our "inconvenience". This was a terrible design to place suites in such a noisy environment. The room is great but beware the noise above you.

6 Helpful Votes