3. Celebrity Silhouette
On 2/1/19 we did a 9 day cruise on the Celebrity Silhouette. We do a lot of cruising so it is easy to make comparisons. We mostly cruise on Royal Caribbean but since Celebrity is owned by RC and we go on Celebrity as an Elite status so we do several cruises a year on Celebrity. Here are some of my notes that I jotted down while we were on the cruise, not in any specific order. They did not have the Elite club happy hour on first day. Our dining was linked together with friends per email but not actually linked once we got on board. It took a day to get that corrected. On the day we got on the ship we only got one of our two suitcases so I had to go looking for the second suitcase. It was being held on deck two because I had an outlet plug with four additional outlets so they confiscated outlet strip and I could not get until we got off ship. I got it back after I exited immigration's. On Royal Caribbean the Diamond Club is typically open from 5 to 8 PM but on this ship the Elite and Elite plus in the Sky Lounge is only from 5 to 7 PM per night. In Grand Cayman as an Elite you were supposed to have priority to get off but it was no faster as we waited about 25 minutes to get on the tender. On Aruba we took a taxi to Eagle beach, $15, rented two chairs for $20, the beach was ok, a public beach. On the way back we took the public bus, $2.60 per person, back to the bus terminal. We did not know it but the bus terminal is close to the port. Exit the port onto the Main St. and turn right go about 100 feet and there is a Diamond International store on the right and across the street is a Pizza Hut and the bus terminal is behind the Pizza Hut. In Curacao we walked to town. Docked at the newer dock, opened in Nov 2017, and it is a longer walk to town. Stopped and checked out the Renaissance Hotel on way into town. You can get a day pass and use there beach and infinity pool for $20 per person, including two beach chairs an umbrella. Super Bowl night there was nothing in the theater but the super bowl all night. The show, Cosmopolitan, had the great acrobatics but music was not appropriate for a 60 plus audience. Good comedian, Dan Wilson, the first night and also good, funny, adult show the following night. We went to see the production show Peril and did not like it. One of the headliner shows was Ashlie Amber, who did many of Whitney Houston’s songs. Nice voice and did a good job on Whitney’s songs. One night we saw a magician called Jay Mattoili and he was good, mixing magic with some comedy. All of his tricks were small, hand faster than the eye type of tricks. He interacted very well with the audience. We saw the third production show called Life which had singing and acrobatics. It was much better than the two previous production shows. The other comedian was Bill Garan and both his shows were very good. We have seen many comedy shows on cruises and most of the time I do not find them very funny but both of these comedians were really funny. On the last night of the cruise we went to see Savannah Smith in the theater. She sang songs made popular by female artist. She had a nice voice but I was only familiar with about half the songs she sang. Also on the last night on deck 3 they had a 60’s night, playing music from the 60’s after the theater performance at 10:15 PM. It was good. Food in the buffet was better than average and more room in buffet dining room than a lot of ships. Our cruise had very few kids. The average age looked like 60 plus years old. I joked that Celebrity is becoming the new Holland America. We had the non alcoholic drink package and I kept track of the drinks each day. The total for the 9 days was $325 dollars and we paid $423, not exactly a great deal but we had a lot of on board credit so it did not matter. We had coffee etc at the Cafe al Bacio on deck five many times. The pastries there are all free so you should try them, better than most ships. We ate on the outside covered area on deck 14 for lunch several times, nice. The lunch meals in the buffet were better than most buffets as they changed some of the selections each day. On the last two days in the buffet for lunch they had special deserts, one day was a special selection of truffles and on the last day they had a selection of great cakes in addition to the normal deserts. Ships common areas were cold for me. If you get cold easily make sure you take a sweater. Our room was 6224 on deck 6. It was what they called a bump out room, very close to the rear elevators. Most rooms on deck 6 have their view obstructed because of the lifeboats. This room was a veranda room and was fine, very convenient to the elevators and no obstructed views. It had a big safe in it, much bigger than the safes on Royal Caribbean. The shower was bigger than on Royal Caribbean which was good. Not as many draws for storage, only 3, but they had storage over the bed which is better than nothing but inconvenient. My wife and I both had internet service and it was much better than on most ships and price for an Elite status was reasonably priced. They were really pushing the specialty restaurants but we did not do any because we thought they were over priced at $45 or $55 per person for dinner. Getting off the ship went very smooth. We left our room at 8:10 AM, picked up our luggage around 8:30 AM and were at the airport at 9:30 AM. The Ft. Lauderdale airport is only about 4 miles or a 10 minute taxi ride from the port at a cost of $15 to $20.

Nice Cruise, Great Ports