3. Carnival Splendor
I chose this ship and itinerary mostly because Long Beach would a convenient meeting place for our group, and the price was right! I went in knowing we were sailing on the “Pink Ship” and that decor was not its strongest suit. I found that to be true, I did not care for the decor but in no way did that negatively impact my experience as I had proper expectations. Embarkation was very smooth. We arrived a few minutes before our assigned time and were on the boat in 15 minutes. We did not purchase FTTF and do not feel we would next time for this port/itinerary. While the ship itself is nothing to write home about, the staff made our trip wonderful! Our group of 14 people included 3 seniors, 2 grade schoolers, 2 high schoolers, 2 nineteen year olds and the parents... there were activities abound for all of the age groups, even though the kids chose not to attend the kids’ clubs. The cruise director Lee and his staff do a phenomenal job of hosting a wide variety of activities with much enthusiasm! The servers in the dining room worked very hard (loved Oscar and Mashudi) but did seem to be stretched thin. There were times we waited for wine and service was a bit uneven. However, I felt this was due to the heavy workload as opposed to the wait staff competence. We all had ocean view cabins on deck 2. Our room steward Roland was very friendly, greeting us by name in the hallways. He kept our room immaculate and I’m fussy with cleaning. The food in the main dining room was very good every night. I never had a bad meal. We only ate in the buffet for lunch and continental breakfast (great banana bread!) and found it was ok. The lines at the Mongolian Wok were always long, though my husband tried it once and thought it was very good. We also enjoyed the Tandoor and pizza place. Everything I ate from there was tasty. I went to the Deli once and ordered a wrap which was meh, but the grilled sandwiches looked great! I had the Cheers package and never had trouble getting a drink. And though I’m not a heavy drinker, I didn’t feel it was too difficult to get my “money’s worth” considering I enjoy a couple of glasses of wine with my dinner, a few other drinks around the pool or at the shows, along with many a latte. As I indicated above, the entertainment aboard was what made our cruise. We saw a movie, some of the musicals (Epic Rock, an 80’ show and Studio VIP) a few comedy shows, the Marriage Show and did a trivia event. The talent level of the performers was amazing. It was always an enjoyable way to spend an hour. The little kids did the Build a Bear and loved their new friends. This cruise stopped at Cabo and Puerto Vallarta. In Cabo, we rented a yacht through Lands End Charters as Carnival didn’t have a similar excursion for 14. I was worried about getting off the boat in time as we didn’t get the earliest tender tickets but they were running ahead of schedule and we made it in plenty of time. Again, I dont feel we missed out not having FTTF. Our excursion turned out to be wonderful! Wonderful food, lots of drinks! For four hours, we watched whales, did a coastal tour and stopped to snorkel a bit. I would definitely recommend this company. In PV, we just took a taxi to town and went to Mango’s Beach Club. We had planned on going to one of the “Monkeys” but gathering our group is like herding feral cats (also missed the cruise critic meet up due to this lol), so we didn’t venture away once we had all found each other. The second day, I had wanted to check out the grocery section of Walmart for vanilla and hot sauce, and my daughter picked up some souvenirs at the little shop just at the port as we were finding it too hot to walk far (we’re from Canada not used to heat). I would recommend this cruise and definitely do another Carnival cruise as this was our first one (we have sailed other lines). I’d do this one again, except Splendor is leaving this port and I’m not sure a huge ship would work for our senior crew with so much walking. Carnival has a great staff and they MAKE your holiday!

Great extended family trip!

Carnival Splendor Cruise Review by rnr4thatsme

Ages 13 to 15
Get Carnival Splendor price drops

Ocean View
Cabin 6B 2304
Dated decor, but very clean. Adequate space for three of us including a teenaged girl. It did the job! We don’t typically spend a lot of time there.
Main Deck Inside Cabins, Outside Cabins