3. Emerald Princess
My husband and I chose this cruise for the itinerary. We always wanted to see Hawaii and we were glad we did. What a beautiful destination (all four islands that we visited). I was especially taken with the fern grotto (it was almost mystical) and something everyone should see in their life time. Embarkation was quick and we were on board before 1:00 pm The Emerald is still a gorgeous ship although it could use a little sprucing up which will happen in April. Pros: The staff. They were all friendly and extremely helpful at every turn. Nothing was too much for them. The wait staff in the Botticelli dining room were the nicest people and professional as well. My husband and I enjoyed all the excursions as well. So much to see but so little time. The drivers and guides were exemplary. International Cafe Ate most meals there as it was fairly decent. Crown Grill was excellent, but ofcourse you have to pay extra for that. Cons: Our biggest disappointment was the food on board. What has happened? The Horizon buffet was not good. Such low quality food. Every day it was just left overs from the dining room the night before. Sushi hot-dogs anyone! Some of it was just gross. The dining room is not much better. Weird combinations of food that had an off putting taste. The prime rib was the only good meal in 15 days. The Curtis Stone restaurant was terrible. $39.00/pp extra and it was not any better than the dining room. I think it was the same thing that they tried to pass off with fancy gourmet names when really it was nothing special and all 6 courses could fit on one plate and there would still be room. I don't think Curtis Stone would have become famous serving this. If you think that throwing a twig of rosemary on something makes it gourmet food, think again. Not all of us are fooled. Disembarkation was horrendous. Caught in torrential rain storm in LA. This was not Princess's fault, but it was the way they handled it. Left a whole group of us in the rain after we left the ship. People in wheelchairs were left stranded in the rain because we did mot know where the buses for our group were located. Were told to go under the makeshift tent but found out that this was only for people getting on the ship. Finally one of our group found the buses at the other end of the parking lot. Out there for 20 minutes soaking right to the bone. Princess employees were no help at all. Side note: the bus driver that took us to LAX was wonderful and tried to help as much as she could. WiFi was slow and spotty at best. Not worth the money. All in all, I am going to try Celebrity the next time in order to compare or at least one of the newer ships.

MOSTLY DISAPPOINTING

Emerald Princess Cruise Review by lifeofreilly

• Sail Date: January 2019
  • Destination: Hawaii
  • Cabin Type: Balcony

Pros:

International Cafe

Ate most meals there as it was fairly decent.

Crown Grill was excellent, but ofcourse you have to pay extra for that.

Cons:

WiFi was slow and spotty at best. Not worth the money.

lifeofreilly’s Full Rating Summary
Get Emerald Princess price drops

Balcony
Cabin BC R311
The cabin was fine although dated décor. The problem was the shower. It was very difficult ton get hot water. It was always tepid no matter the time of day.
Lido Deck Inside Cabins, Outside Cabins, Balcony Cabins, Suite Cabins