3. MSC Preziosa
Cruise period 22/1/19 - 5/2/19......We chose this Caribbean cruise because over a 2 week period it had a port of call virtually everyday and we hadn't cruised before on MSC. Main good points..... flight very good, met at Gatwick by MSC reps, bags taken at Gatwick, didn't see again until we were in the cabin. Great ship, Italian decor, art deco...very impressive. Bar/restaurant staff are excellent. We found the food very good. We had the Aurea package which gave you anytime dining, basic drinks package & access to a sun deck which was private and away from the normal deck crowds. Great water play area for kids, would keep age groups 3 - 12 occupied for ages. Very good water slide. Garden pool bar at the rear of the ship is the best, when leaving port, bit of DJ chill sounds going on, most brits liked this bar. Main bad points...... This two week cruise has 6 embarkations & disembarkations (including your own). This results in 6 days of people milling around, cabin suitcases everywhere. The cruise has people getting on and off in Barbados, Martinique & Guadeloupe .As a result there are several safety drills as new people get on which inhibits dining times etc. This ship caters for Italians, French & German before the British. All announcements are done in 4 languages and seem to take for ever, even in the theatre . Over two weeks it becomes very repetitive. All entertainment...musicians, pool & the theatre is aimed at other Europeans, most British people onboard thought the entertainment was poor. The only exception to this was the guitarist/singer in the La Locanda pizza wine bar area, Ive forgotten his name but he was excellent. By being stuck in this area with people talking etc was a complete waste of time, MSC should move him to any other area where he can be appreciated more, he is far to talented (and frustrated, you could tell) to be stuck in this area. They try to sell you the premium drinks package from day one, this works out to an extra 9 euros a day per person. For two over the course of two weeks that an extra £252 euros. You cannot buy it just for a week, you have to buy it for the length of your cruise. Besides the basic drinks package is good enough unless you want premium brands. The buffet for breakfast is extremely busy more than likely because it has to cater for many nationalities. It is large but is concentrated in one area which I think adds to the congestion bearing in mind when full there are 4,000 people on board, ships that tend to have separate buffets have less congestion. There is an option of breakfast in the restaurant but this closes at 9AM. Communication in the daily newsletter is poor mainly because this has to be printed in several languages. We were told in our newsletter that ALL guests had to attend another safety drill even though we had already done it. This drill was for new passengers only not ALL passengers, dinner was missed as a result. The cruise had a small number of people on board who I can will describe as unsocial. They were not from the UK, I think they were locals from the islands, boarded in Guadeloupe who it seems island hop for a week These people were constantly drunk, spent all their time in the buffet or at night were drunk in the club/disco. As much as I understand a certain amount of unsocial behaviour will almost be inevitable on a ship of this size, surely having individuals dropping drinks on the dance floor, breast feeding on the dance floor & having young children running around the club at 1AM is unacceptable. MSC take note, ban the kids from a nightclub, its an adult environment. I dare say thumping music for a baby of breast feeding age is not particularly good for it anyway. I can only say that my partner did not feel very secure in this environment, we did not go back. All in all the cruise was reasonably priced. If you don't mind a non British theme it will be fine, I did not take into account the amount of embarkations during the cruise or the number of locals who obviously island hop for a week...lesson learnt. If you do a MSC cruise out of the caribbean, I would say the Aurea level is a must. Would I cruise with MSC again, probably not, I will stick with more British/American cruises, at least they know how to say thanks if you hold open a door,or hold the lift, even a nod in acknowledgement....whereas the other nationalities need to go on a course in manners, .... MSC there a thought!!

Attractive Caribbean itinerary but beware

MSC Preziosa Cruise Review by bergkamp

• Sail Date: January 2019
  • Destination: Caribbean
  • Cabin Type: Suite – Aurea

Main good points.....

Great ship, Italian decor, art deco...very impressive.

Bar/restaurant staff are excellent.

We found the food very good.

Great water play area for kids, would keep age groups 3 - 12 occupied for ages.

Very good water slide.

Main bad points......

bergkamp’s Full Rating Summary
Get MSC Preziosa price drops

Suite – Aurea
Cabin S3 10004
Excellent cabin, large with a walk in closet area and a bathroom with bath. This cabin has sealed panoramic windows that overlook the front of the ship.. If there was a downside there is no outside space
Giada Deck Inside Cabins, Balcony Cabins, Suite Cabins