Carnival Freedom Cruise Review

Very, very tired ship

Carnival Freedom Cruise Review by scottba

• Sail Date: Feb 2019
  • Destination: the Western Caribbean

We have cruised 8 times previously and on multiple lines including past Carnival, Princess, NCL, and Celebrity cruises. This is close to the bottom of all the cruises I have taken. However, let me through out a few compliments:

1. Lucky, our cabin steward was exceptional. Even more impressive is her recall of mine and my spouses name by face the second day of our cruise.

2. Simon the cruise director of the Carnival Freedom who self effacive comedy kept things light on the cruise.

Now onto the bad:

1. We had cabin 1026 on the 10th floor. The cabin is dated and worn. The sofa is a combination of faded and frayed leather seat and cloth pillows. There was also a constant sewer smell from the airline quality toilets.

2. The food was an atrocious mix of gelatinous chocolate mousse, hard as a brick cakes, dried out pasta dished, and burned apple pie in the Chic Dining room.

3. Tired and worn infrastructure including deep paint chipping on the "whale tail" exhaust and a rusting track for what I assume was a once functioning roof over the adult swimming area in the aft section of the ship.

4. We ran late departing Galveston but no effort was really made to make up the time. Some Cozumel excursions were canceled and refunded but no attempt made to help us reschedule a new excursion at the last minute.

5. The ship continued on a delayed schedule up and through Ochos Rios, Jamaica. Checking in to the tubing excursion some before us were told there were two boarding times and to come buck at 11:00am. As our group moved forward for our 10:00a.m. booking we were told ours was the only group going. Those who were told to come back at 11:00 probably had a rude awakening.

6. As with most cruise ships internet service remains an expensive joke. Having chose the most expensive package I got very slow service. The idea of the HUB app is not well executed. I was never able to connect or find other parties in my group in the texting portion. Then some text messages to people I was connected with were never received after being sent by me.

Cruise Critic!! You professional review is a woeful representation of the realities of this ship. Time to send your professional critic back for a reassessment.

scottba's Full Rating Summary

Cabin Balcony 1026

Very frayed, faded, and tired. Sewage smell from airline toilet.

Cozumel

Our excursion was canceled due to a late departure and an assumed reluctance of the captain to make up the time. Our excursion was canceled and of course refunded. But little help was extended in finding last minute shore excursions.

Galveston

We came, we encountered, we left, we returned. we left again.

Stingray Swim

We had done this over a decade ago and wanted to do it again with our nephew. We remember being able to feed the stingrays but evidently laws/rules have changed and there is only a limited amount now that can be fed and due to our late arrival that allotment had already been used. We were able to take a photo with the stingray but little interaction with them otherwise. Still cool though.

View All 795 Stingray Swim Reviews
Turtle Farm

Turtle farm was nice and got to take a picture with a turtle. The swim was disappointing with just snorkeling view of a limited amount of turtles who avoided us of course. I applaud the overall goals and actions of the group thought. Kudos!

View All 329 Turtle Farm Reviews
River Tubing

I have an bias of Jamaica that I can't seem to shake. The country, as poor as it is, also manages to have a natural scenery that looks tired and poor as well. However, the bright spot was the tubing down the White River. The river is cool to cold, clear as a bell with clear visibility of its bed. There is a canopy of trees and bamboo over the river. The rapids are mild but fun and Sheldon and the Big Boss among other guides made you feel welcome, entertained, and feeling safe during the excursion. If I came back to Jamaica I would definite consider this at the top of list.

View All 74 River Tubing Reviews