3. Brilliance of the Seas
Since our cruise on Seabourn we have become very spoiled, but my husband is a "prog" fan and was thrilled to take this cruise with some of his favorite artists. I hadn't been on a Royal Caribbean ship for at least 10 years and it hasn't gotten any better. We left from Tampa for this 5-day cruise and because of fog we weren't allowed to embark until 7:30 that evening (instead of 10:30 that morning). This was a charter of the entire ship so all information came from the charter. With 2400 people arriving at once it took a few hours to board everyone but it went pretty smoothly. The cabin was small as expected, and worn. We did find adequate storage for our clothes and luggage, but it was difficult to turn around in the bathroom and navigate the cabin. Because of the abundant music schedule we were unable to eat in the dining room, and the Windjammer was great for breakfast but as a vegetarian I found it difficult to find enough options for lunch and dinner and ended up eating a lot of salads with cheese. The fitness center has wonderful views and is laid out well, and there was enough equipment for a good workout although there were no weight benches or TRX machines. One thing I do love about the RC ships is the solarium pool, the quiet area where you can get away from the hubbub of the main pool. On this cruise the main pool was converted to a stage anyway so it was great to have the solarium. Some notes for the Cruise to the Edge - if you like progressive rock this is the motherlode, apparently (according to my husband who is an aficionado of the highest order). Due to the delays of embarkation there were schedule changes that made it difficult to plan, and the bands were plagued with equipment malfunctions and performance delays. But it was a great time, with great people and despite my complaints here we did have a great time.

"Cruise to the Edge" - a week of progressive rock on Royal Caribbean