3. Island Princess
My husband and I chose Princess because they had come so highly rated. In the past, we had cruised using other cruise lines and had wonderful experiences. We were really excited about going on a Princess ship through the Panama Canal. The ship itself is outdated. Windows were not cleaned regularly if all on board. The dining rooms and buffet had a 60's decor. We especially found our room (a balcony plus) to be lacking. The bathroom was TINY and the shower even TINIER! We are both average size people and could hardly fit in. I can't even imagine how heavier people manage. The shower did not slide down so being small, I just got bombarded with spray whether I wanted to wash my hair or not. The balcony in our room needed painting in spots as rust was showing through. It also had big globs of paint splattered on the tile. I had requested a queen and we had 2 twins when we arrived, so I had to call and had them remake the bed when we arrived. The steward was pleasant enough, but did not impress us with his friendliness or service. Then, there were the terrible meals. We originally started in the regular dining room, but after tasting the dried up red snapper and overdone steak we ended up in the buffet every night. The quality was somewhat better, but not top quality. When they included a carved meat, the chef would prepare the gravy in same manner with the same beef broth and whatever. Desserts were simply not good except for the occasional cookie. We did not attend any entertainment, so I cannot comment on that. The shore excursions were good, but we did not like some of the ports we went to. Limon and Colon were terrible. Hope they change those destinations in the future. Grand Cayman Island was so crowded, that port could be eliminated. And when we boarded , they had changed our port in Jamaica to Falmouth instead of Ocho Rios due to crowding. Falmouth was okay. This trip had been on our bucket list, so we were happy to see the Panama Canal, but honestly, I wish we had gone on another cruise line. Very disappointed.

Disappointment galore!

Island Princess Cruise Review by cbecker01

We did not attend any entertainment, so I cannot comment on that.

cbecker01’s Full Rating Summary