3. Norwegian Getaway
I've been cruising over 20 years, with the overwhelming majority of my cruises with NCL. I'm very sad to say that this cruise experience was a disappointment from beginning to end, and has officially marked my final voyage with NCL. From the start, it was nothing but problems and stress. I booked a last-minute cruise (about a month out) to celebrate my 10-year anniversary. After booking with my cruise consultant via phone, I received notification in my email that he had put us on the wrong sail date - and specifically one a week earlier that would be impossible for me to make with my work schedule. Upon trying to remedy this, I was told there would be a fee associated with the date adjustment because I was "changing my mind," which was completely false. After speaking with multiple levels of personnel, no one could assure me that the mistake [I didn't make] would be properly fixed to get us on the trip I had booked in the first place. Finally with no explanation about 10 days out, the ship date was corrected. The amount of stress and hours I took from work to frantically try to correct this with NCL staff came with no consolation or apology whatsoever, and I did not appreciate being treated this way. Fast forward to the week before my cruise: there is an huge winter storm predicted in my area of the US. Due to the forecast, it would be impossible for me to make the flight they booked for me with the included airfare offer, leaving mere hours to spare between flight arrival and ship sailing time. After DAYS of trying to reach someone to figure out my options and minimum 45 minute hold times with the NCL air department (which I never got through to a single time!), I finally spoke with a random staff member (the only helpful person during this process) who informed me that he could not locate my air travel details. This seemed like an impossibility to me, as I was looking at my email confirmation of such direct from NCL. I once again wasted more of my time and call American Airlines myself to confirm, only to be told MY RESERVATION DOES NOT EXIST. So to be clear, I would have shown up to a NYC airport at 3am, in the middle of a blizzard, to not only be told my reservation doesn't exist, but that I'd have no way of making it to the ship in time - and NCL had now informed with this snowstorm would be considered an "act of God" and they would have no responsibility whatsoever to refund me or help get me to the ship at any point during the voyage. Over 5 more hours on the phone back and forth and more missed work time, only to find both companies pointing the finger at each other, with again no explanation of what really went wrong. Finally, we were able to get me a flight the night before (and only because NCL had never actually finished booking my flight in the first place), though there was not only no apology AGAIN for this COLOSSAL error, but now I was forced to pay for a hotel suddenly, with no assistance again from NCL - even after I explained all that had transpired to multiple personnel. After more ridiculous hold time on the phone, I finally got through to the “Executive Department” where I was offered a mere $50 onboard credit for my troubles. Though I am grateful for any compensation at all, this doesn’t even scratch the surface for the hours of work and time I’ll never get back. Upon finally being on our voyage, I was also met with constant disappointment. My cabin was never properly cleaned (glasses never replaced, shower walls remained dirty, random underwear found in the closet from previous guest... the list goes on), the walls of the room are paper thin (thus resulting in the nonstop screaming family next door interrupting my sleep every single night), entertainment was mediocre at best with almost all shows sold out within hours of boarding and the same limited show options repeating. But perhaps worst of all was the fact that NCL had decided to accommodate a specific religious group with reserving publicly shared facilities for the duration of the cruise. I understand the desire to want to help extremely religious people with specific dietary needs when possible, but inconveniencing 90% of the guests on board with one of three restaurants taken out of commission for the entire trip is ridiculous! We waited a minimum of 30-45 mins for EVERY SINGLE MEAL. I have never ever experienced such a thing anywhere, nor have I ever heard outrage like I heard on this trip. Everywhere we went, people were up in arms complaining and yelling at staff members of how they never would have spent the money for this cruise if they knew it was going to be this way. It was an absolute disaster. I work very hard to be able to earn a vacation like many others, and I chose to spend my hard-earned money with NCL. Unfortunately, this terrible experience has ensured that I will not only never travel with NCL again, but I am likely never cruising again either. And as they say, when you have a good experience, you tell one person - but when you have a bad experience, you tell everyone. Upon my return home, I was exhausted (thanks for the 8+ hour layover I wasn’t supposed to have either, NCL…), disappointed, and felt like I needed a vacation from my vacation. Every one of my family and friends asked how my trip was… and they found out exactly how it was. If these people already weren’t enthusiastic about the idea of trying a cruise vacation before, I can assure you they certainly won’t be now. It’s a real shame, but NCL screwed up big this time… on every single level.

A disappointment from beginning to end, last NCL Cruise for us!

Norwegian Getaway Cruise Review by chris227