3. MSC Seaside
The three most important things about a cruise to my wife and I are dining, entertainment and cleanliness. The MSC Seaside gets an F in all three. There were good things about this ship but these three items being so poor make this ship our worst cruise ever(actually our only bad cruise out of 9 total). If you choose to ignore all the bad reviews on this ship and take the Seaside it will probably be your first and last MSC cruise as it is ours. Dining: We chose second seating 7:15-7:30 and that is what our paperwork from MSC said but when we arrived our room card said 5:15. We spoke with the front desk and they told us to speak with the Maitre d at Ipanema (our assigned dining room). My wife went there and I stayed in the room. About 30 minutes later she came back to the room in tears. She told me that he told her there was no chance of switching dining times and she said “what if we don’t eat at 5:15” and he replied “well than you just don’t eat”. I went down to Ipanema with her at 5:15 and the Maitre d denied saying this, really just calling my wife a liar. We ate every dinner in the buffet on this cruise because of this experience. We did eat a lunch in the dining room on a sea day but the dining room is not open for lunch any other days. The buffet was the smallest, strangest buffet ever. They have two buffets on this ship but there is usually just half of one open. They serve the same stuff every day. At breakfast they have just one kind of sausage and just one king of potato really no variety at all. As you walk around the buffet it just repeats itself. They do have good pizza but the same four kinds every lunch and dinner. It was so terrible and we were so very disappointed. We refused to eat at the specialty dining because of the huge price tag. After all you subsidise the cost of specialty dining with the thousands you pay for a cruise. We have eaten at every specialty dining on every ship we have ever been on and never had to pay hundreds on an a la cart menu. We ate a few breakfasts in the dining room and the menu never changed. The tables are very close together and it was super loud. We were served coffee but no milk or there was no sugar on our table. My omelet was supposed to come with hash brown potatoes but did not on our first visit, on another day I ordered an omelet again and this time it did come with their version of a hash brown. Some processed junk. Definitely fast food like something you would get from McDonald’s. They never, not once got our meal right.We sat in the café and ordered large cappuccinos. They brought them to us in drinking glasses. We tried to use them but they were burning our hands. We asked the server why and she said they don’t have large mugs and the large size is just for takeout. She brought us paper cups to put over our drinking glasses and told us this usually cost extra. No kidding. I have more to say on dining but I will include it under cleanliness and you are not going to believe this but it is 100% true. Entertainment: In the theater the shows are 30 minutes max. They make no sense and are very karaoke. Recorded music and a few average singers. Every show has circus acts thrown in here and there and you would see the same juggler doing the same stuff one day and then the next as well. Some guy with a giant hoop would reappear one show after another. On more than one occasion they even lip synced songs. We went to a bar for Country night and a Haitian Caribbean band played such country favorites as Let it be (yap the Beatles) and don’t worry be happy. No I’m not kidding they actually did not play one country song…really. They had a DJ that played in the atrium regularly, actually they paid two that I counted. This is not your DJ that plays at your friend’s wedding, playing familiar songs from yesterday and today…nope. This was a record scratching dial turning DJ playing melodic sounds that never seemed to end. This would be ideal for teens at a rave on Ecstasy but I’m 58 and really didn’t get it. I will finish with this on entertainment, there isn’t a saxophone, trumpet, trombone on this ship. MSC is unbelievably out of touch with reality. Cleanliness: In our room as in every room, they do not use a top sheet. I have never slept in a bed without a top sheet, not on a cruise ship or a hotel, bed and breakfast not in any country. What’s with that? We insisted on one and they put one on our bed but it was never changed. OK this is crazy but absolutely true. We sat at our table for breakfast and our server walked over to a table nearby that somebody had recently left. He grabbed the bread basket off that table and placed it on our table. Really, he did this. It contained a few breadsticks and one bun. We were disgusted and shocked that they would do this right in front of us, as though it is common practice. We also watched as they made up a dirty table and left cutlery that appeared clean on the table for the next seating. A server that was walking around with a tray of Danishes and such approached a nearby table to offer them some. The gentleman sitting at that table did not have a side plate. The girl with the Danishes reached over to the next table and grabbed a plate and placed it on his table. He looked at her in shock and instructed her to get a clean plate as this plate was taken from a dirty table. Well that is what we saw with our own eyes. The menus were never wiped down and on the last visit to the dining room for breakfast our menu had bits of food stuck to it, yuck. So I’m not going to tell you what I liked because who cares about the things MSC did right when they can’t get these basic things right. Enjoy your next cruise, whoever you choose to cruise with. Our next is in Alaska with Princess and we know it will be way, way, way better than our MSC disaster.

We lost the dining time lotto

MSC Seaside Cruise Review by love2cruise6547

• Sail Date: January 2019
  • Destination: Western Caribbean
  • Cabin Type: Fantastica Outside Stateroom

love2cruise6547’s Full Rating Summary
Get MSC Seaside price drops

Fantastica Outside Stateroom
Cabin O2 5162
We were assigned a disabled cabin but we are not disabled. The cabin was large and nice. We did have a strange smell that never went away and daily we had a gurgling sound from the bathroom.
Cape Cod Deck Inside Cabins, Outside Cabins