3. Viking Sky
Chose for Northern Lights/Arctic Circle Itinerary. Ship was beautiful and was very impressed at first. We selected a Deluxe Balcony Stateroom and it was quite small. There was not enough hanging space. Fortunately we knew enough to bring magnetic hooks or it would have been a worse mess. The food was average and the service was average at best. Some people were great, like our room steward. The reason we didn't rate guest services and the shore excursion staff well was the following: they played the blame game. They had many, many excursion difficulties to the point of having to fully refund, or partially refund, the money back to passengers. Never once did anyone say "I'm sorry". No, they blamed the tour operators or used the excuse "this is the first time we have been to this port" or (best one!) "it wasn't listed online". Bear in mind that the tour operators complained of how difficult it was to even REACH the Viking Sky staff, much less, that Viking did not listen to the tour operators when they made suggestions and believe me, they should have listened. It was a bucket list trip for me and I refused to let anything ruin it, but the disorganized, poorly planned, not properly vetted, pricey excursions were very disappointing. And the attitude of the Viking staff really added insult to injury. I spoke to many people who were long time cruisers but first time Viking Ocean cruisers and the consensus was the same...one and done. Back to Regent. Back to Azamara. Back to Celebrity...you get the drift. I wanted to love it...I love Viking River Cruises. But it was just too disappointing. The ship was gorgeous, the itinerary was amazing, and I did see the Northern Lights. But the rest was not great, except for embarkation, which was the best I've experienced out of 25 ocean cruises.

Huge Disappointment

Viking Sky Cruise Review by kmick1922

Viking Cruises, Community Team has responded
We appreciate the opportunity to respond to your review, kmick1922, though we regret to learn your time aboard Viking Sky did not meet the expectations set by your previous Viking river cruises. Your kind praise of the ship aesthetics and itinerary is delightful, and we are so pleased to learn you were able to see the northern lights! Even still, we hear your feedback regarding the structure of the shore excursions program, as well as the service you’ve described, and have made note for further review. Should you like to share more, we would be happy to continue the conversation at TellUs@vikingcruises.com. Thank you for sailing with us, and we hope to hear from you.
kmick1922’s Full Rating Summary
Get Viking Sky price drops

small, cramped, not enough hanging space. Bathroom was great, with heated floors.

• Ulriken Cable Car
    Miscommunication again. The place was not ready for us...confusion as to when we would arrive. Way too long sitting there doing nothing due to more miscommunication. So we lost what little daylight we had, due to more poor planning.
    View All 22 Ulriken Cable Car Reviews
  • Pulpit Rock
    This was a boat ride with lovely scenery, which culminated in seeing Pulpit Rock from the boat below. Enjoyable, but nothing special. Probably taking this same excursion any time but the middle of winter would have been more scenic, but for winter time, it was just fine. You know when you're going and should know what to expect from the season in which you visit.
    View All 63 Pulpit Rock Reviews
  • Tromso
    Delightful city. So glad we stayed overnight.
    View All 79 Tromso Cruise Port Reviews
    View Cruise Critic's Tromso Cruise Port Review
  • Tromso Planetarium
    Very informative and enjoyable. Learned all about the Northern Lights.
    View All 4 Tromso Planetarium Reviews