Carnival Ecstasy Cruise Review

Carnival Ecstasy Cruise Review by jmu2nmsu

• Sail Date: Jan 2019
  • Destination: the Bahamas
  • Cabin Type: Extended Balcony Grand Suite

We cannot tell you how excited we were to leave on 1/6/19. We were eloping, taking our first cruise, and my soon-to-be husband was leaving the country for the first time. His name is Brandon. That'll be in important here in a second.

We get ready on the morning of the 9th for our wedding and go to the library to have our ceremony. The officiant is reading a manual on how to perform weddings when we arrive. That's a little odd but whatever, we get it. Wanna stay sharp. The ceremony begins. The officiant seems nervous but heck, so are we! He talks about marriage for a minute and then launches into the canned vows... my fiance and I have brought our personalized vows with us written on cards. We both stumble through the generic ones thinking ... maybe ours will go after that? What is happening? Then the officiant calls my fiance JUSTIN and we both look at each other. Something is very wrong. He then has us bow our heads and starts a prayer. Neither my husband or I have any problem bowing our heads for a prayer at other ceremonies. We however never approved a prayer for our own wedding day and certainly wouldn't have approved THIS ONE. Is it too much to ask to just be given what you paid for on your wedding day? Before we left for the cruise, the wedding planner and I had a very clear email thread where the details for the ceremony were mapped out. They weren't anything special but they were what we wanted; we were an easy couple! At no point did anyone even ask us about a prayer. I was even sent a script for the generic wedding that I edited minimally and sent back - at their request. Why did I go through any of that if they weren't going to use any of it?!

Later, when we were back in our room and had recited our ACTUAL vows sitting beside one another on the bed, my husband said that during the middle of the ceremony, once he could tell there had been a mix up, he wanted to just interrupt and say "can we just do the pictures so we can go?" I completely understood what he meant. It felt like a bad dream.

So we get home, and I send a colorful email to the carnival wedding team ON THE SAME THREAD where all of our instructions for the wedding were approved in clear detail, and let them know that something went very wrong. They offer me a couple hundred dollar refund for the officiant's service, which was clearly botched. Yeah, our ceremony was something out of a bad romantic comedy, but i'll just take a couple hundred bucks instead of a full refund for our wedding. Sure. So, they tell me a resolution team will contact me within 7 business days. I wait. Those business days come and go. No one has contacted me. It's been weeks. I reply on the active thread demanding they at least give ME the email address of this illusive department that was supposed to contact me. Crickets. This is a nightmare. I have yet to hear anything back. So, in tears today, I filed my first ever better business bureau complaint against Carnival. If you had told us. before our wedding, that we'd be sitting on some BBB website, filing a claim against the company that would perform our wedding, I would have laughed. I'm the type of person who would rather keep something I don't like than deal with the hassle of getting a refund.

So, I do not recommend carnival cruise line for anything purely based on their indifference to handling what is a truly sad situation for my husband and myself. But also because the food was completely underwhelming, the bed in our ultra fancy suite [literally the nicest room we could purchase] was two twin beds pushed together where they slide apart if anyone tries to lay remotely close to the center - just what we were hoping for on our honeymoon, because there was cigarette smoke wafting into different non-smoking and unavoidable areas of the ship at all times, and because the entire trip felt like a weird upsell designed to get us to spend more money.

One positive: the staff that maintained our rooms was SUPER kind and personable and did an amazing job

jmu2nmsu's Full Rating Summary