3. Norwegian Gem
My wife and I have just returned from the Panama Canal cruise out of New York in January 19. We travelled with adult friends and no children. The embarkation in New York was easy to get to, well organised and very smooth - not the same could be said for the disembarkation in LA - what a disaster. Whilst the cruise itinerary, restaurant and bar staff were great, the food lacked variety and was very limited - one of our friends is diabetic and it was very limiting for him (NCL you have done better than this). Being on the ship for 18 days - some variation in the buffet section for lunch and supper would have been welcome, the breakfast was not much better. The fruit provided on board was generally disgusting. We basically had the same food for 18 days. The ship docked in very remote industrial ports resulting in additional costs for travel into town - almost forcing the NCL excursions on us. In one case we were to dock in Puntarenas but were taken to Puerto Caldera and advised that it would cost $15.00 per person for a bus into Puntarenas. The live bands and musical entertainment was the poorest I have experienced on a cruise ship to date. The internet service provided was expensive and slow. The positives - the cabin was clean and well serviced. The staff ( with exception of the administration) was excellent. The narrator providing us with facts and information on the Panama Canal was excellent. Overall - the ship is showing its age - not what I expect from our preferred cruise line! you can do better than this NCL - I know this because I have experienced it in the past.

Great itinerary but felt we were consitently being fleeced. Food very poor.

Norwegian Gem Cruise Review by Erman

The internet service provided was expensive and slow.

Erman’s Full Rating Summary
Get Norwegian Gem price drops

Mid-Ship Inside
Cabin IB 9055
The cabin was great and well serviced - we did experience problems with the hot water and the shower tap, but this was rectified once it was mentioned to the gentleman servicing the room.
Deck 9 Inside Cabins, Balcony Cabins, Suite Cabins