3. Ruby Princess
This was our second cruise on Princess, having just sailed on the Royal a few months ago. It is difficult to not make some comparisons between them. There are some features I really liked on the Ruby such as the true Promenade Deck that you can walk around and the pool at the aft of the ship, neither of which the Royal had. However, the Royal is newer and a bit nicer overall. Let me break down the high and low points: Embarkation/ Debarkation: Both processes were easy and flawless. This was the fastest and easiest I have ever gotten onboard a ship. Our luggage was also delivered promptly. Debarking the ship was also easy and we were on our way in no time. Really excellent all around. Dining: I am specifically referring to food quality and variety here. The main dining room food was very good each night and the selection was pretty good. The buffet selection was not as good as the Royal and it was much more difficult to find a table at this buffet. The food on the pool deck was surprisingly good. The street tacos were excellent. I do think Pepperoni Pizza should have been a daily option but it was only available every other day. The Crown Grill was fabulous. The filet mignon was wonderful. Service: This was really hit and miss on the ship. I found the bars to all have great service, particularly Roger at the Calypso Bar by the pool. The bar service was better on the Ruby than on the Royal. The pool deck service was also good. The lines moved quickly when there were lines and the staff was very good. The room steward, Amando, was the best we have had on any ship. Excellent. As for the dining rooms and buffet, the service was mediocre at best. The service was very very slow and our assistant waiter was the most forgetful and seemingly disoriented server I have had at any restaurant I have been to. Drink service in the buffet was deplorable. I would much prefer being able to just serve myself because most meals I had finished eating before any drinks arrived and that was if you were ordering something they had readily available like water or tea. If you wanted a soda then there was no way that was coming before you were done eating. Entertainment: The entertainment was mostly good on board. The lounge singer, Mary Simon and the comedian, Carlos Oscar were both excellent. The main headliner was ok. The stage productions were pretty good. The mariachi bands were good as well. We did many of the trivia and game show events and they were fun and the cruise director and her staff were good but nowhere near as good as Matt O on the Royal. I am sure if I had experience this before the Royal, I would have been more impressed but the Royal entertainment team set the bar too high. Ports: The ports were fine and we really enjoyed Puerto Vallarta. We did not do any excursions through the cruise line so I can't comment on that. Cabin: Our cabin was pretty standard for what we have come to expect for a balcony cabin. None of them are huge but there is sufficient room and plenty of storage space and hangers. Overall we were very happy with our trip. If the service was better than it would have been a five star. I heard several other people complaining about dining room service so I don't believe our experience was isolated. I will certainly cruise Princess and the Ruby again but they do have room for improvement.

Good cruise to the Mexican Riviera

Ruby Princess Cruise Review by scw8047

Let me break down the high and low points:

scw8047’s Full Rating Summary