3. Oasis of the Seas
The Oasis of the Seas is a beautiful ship!! I could not imagine anything at sea that is as amazing as "Central Park" on the Oasis. One night, however, as we sat listening to beautiful stringed music, a group of children (from one of the programs) came marching through with their instruments singing & playing. Nice (if you're their parents)... a bit much if you're trying to listen to a violinist play. The cabins are pretty standard size and amenities, we were in an ocean view balcony cabin (which is what we always sail in) and it was pretty much as expected. There was quite a variety of entertainment on the ship, although the only show we saw that really impressed me was the one at the Aqua Theater. The divers/gymnasts were amazing and the show was very well done. "Fly with Me" and "Frozen in Time" (skating show) were both good but not great. "Cats" was... well "cats". For a ship with over 6000 passengers, the only time it felt crowded was right after the muster drill, when EVERYONE wants an elevator... and during disembarkment. The other drawback to the number of passengers was the need for a reservation to do EVERYTHING! If you weren't living on a pre-planned schedule, you couldn't get into shows, dinning rooms, or activities. For me, this takes away from the relaxation of a vacation. However, when it comes to dinning, the Oasis fell WAY short of my expectations!!! First of all, without paying an additional charge, there is really only one place where you can sit down and have a waiter bring you your dinner... that is the main dinning room. Other 'included' dinning options were a buffet, hot dot stand, pizza stand & 2 delis. The quality of the food was average to poor. It seemed like everything they served in the main dinning room was served with brown gravy, even my Chicken Cordon Bleu! Also, being the only table service restaurant included, it was ALWAYS crowded and very loud, with lots of children. With the exception of continental breakfast, room service has a delivery charge, and a very limited menu. One night my mother ended up with severe gastrointestinal problems that were completely gone by morning (food poisoning? Only explanation I could come up with!). I was surprised by how many children were on the cruise, given it was mid-January. But I can imagine that for a family with kids, this may be a very good cruise. Kids don't care about dinning or commotion, and the ship seemed to have quite a few activities planned for them. I was also annoyed by the fact that it seemed every time I turned around, there was something else that I had to pay an 'up charge' for! I know all the cruise lines are beginning to do this, but it seemed excessive on Oasis. I've been on several other cruises, on both Celebrity and Norwegian, and never noticed so many up charges. I did hear other passenger saying that they wished there were more public places where you could see the water! (I hadn't noticed because we had our own private balcony) The way Oasis is designed, balcony cabins sit with their railings right at the edge of the ship, so the only place to see the ocean (if you don't have your own balcony) is one of the pool areas, either on top or in the front of the ship. Most of the time that I was on the ship, I felt as if I was in a big 'mall'. Overall, the ship is beautiful, even if there were design elements I did not appreciate. But I won't be sailing on Royal Caribbean again.

Beautiful Ship; Terrible food; Lots of kids; Everything costs Extra