3. Pride of America
Selected this ship for the itinerary. I did not read any reviews for the Pride of America - NCL prior to the trip, but decided to check them out upon my return. After reading many of the poor reviews, I had to agree with many of those less than satisfactory comments. As a seasoned cruiser with 15+ different ships/lines, this is the first time I felt I needed to write a review of my own less than favorable observations/experiences. We got on the ship early only to be told that the cabins were not ready and they called floors as they were done. Ship - old. There were odd overly large game pieces of chess and checkers on deck 7. OK, no one ever played these and the pieces were cumbersome to walk around. Nearly face planted trying to get around those several times. Cabin - everything was miniature and window was cloudy and hard to see through. Minimal cleaning by cabin steward. I never heard a vacuum when walking by cabins being “cleaned.” Steward also robbed us of three hangars throughout the trip - taking my husband’s shirts off of them and hanging them loosely on a hook inside the door of the closet. We are thinking he did this for the toweled animals he hung (with our hangars) in the room. (We never got those hangars back and we did not ask.) Steward tried to be friendly but he was almost too obtrusive, and even knocked on cabin door at 745 AM on last morning to tell me that I should be leaving the ship now... Dining - buffet choices limited and food did not taste very well. The “special” steak and shrimp dinner was a well-done greasy minute steak and the shrimp was tiny shrimp cocktail. Staff picking up plates and refilling utensil holder were robotic and not very personable. Entertainment - comedian and magician were good. Toby Beau (band) was very entertaining. Broadway dance shows mediocre. Pool - bar staff service was slim to none - servers disappeared early afternoon - on your own to get your drinks after that. No monitoring by any staff of the hot tubs where a diapered toddler less than 1 year was allowed in the water with the parent for hours on end. I did not go in the hot tubs after seeing this. Halfway through the cruise my family caught the hacking cough illness going around the ship - even with the washy wash ladies best efforts. If you are a smoker, they have one of the best areas reserved for you. It is at the Waikiki bar on 13th floor - spaciousness, tables, chairs, a pool, and the bartenders up there were the friendliest of all the staff. Spa area was nice - did pay for one service. Fitness room looked nice - did not use it. This was my second and last NCL cruise. The only thing this ship has that you can not put a value on is the itinerary. Did not pay for the excursions - used the transportation provided by the individual islands (hoppa on and hoppa off buses - free!)

Underwhelmed

Pride of America Cruise Review by Onecruise2many

• Sail Date: January 2019
  • Destination: Hawaii
  • Cabin Type: Family Oceanview Picture Window
Selected this ship for the itinerary.

Onecruise2many’s Full Rating Summary