3. Celebrity Reflection
Positives: 1) Fabulous ship – absolutely gorgeous, very comfortable, in pristine condition, and very well designed. I was so impressed with the cabins, pool areas, fitness area (great equipment and I used it every day), buffet set-up, theaters, shops, specialty restaurants, promenade, Nook, game room, library and more. 2) Fabulous specialty restaurants. All three we went to had great food and service. 3) Nice passengers. We encountered no obnoxious drunks, no one tried to steal my lounge chair at the pool (although there were always plenty even on this very full cruise), everyone in the elevators and somewhat narrow corridors were nice and polite, no one fought for position in line or over a table at the buffet, etc. 4) The standard non-alcoholic drink selection was reasonable. 5) The Qsine specialty restaurant deserves special recognition. It’s amazing. 6) The entertainers who came on board at one port and then performed before leaving at the next port were very good. 7) Did a great job with tendering at Grand Cayman where there is no ship pier. I watched the way Holland America handled tendering for its ship and felt sorry for their passengers who were crammed into relatively small and slow life boats that were difficult to climb into and out of. 8) Even though the ship was full for this New Year’s sailing, mostly there were no lines and it was easy to get around the ship. There were no lines at the bars and plenty of waiters were available to serve drinks by the pool. Showing up at the main dining room without a reservation was never a problem for us. Boarding and disembarking was orderly and expeditious. Good seats were always available in the theater (except for the late-night adult comedy show). While the positives greatly outweighed the negatives, there nevertheless were some negatives. Negatives: 1) Food (especially the entree’s) in the main dining room was disappointing. I’m not exaggerating when I say my local cafeteria serves food of at least equal quality. By the end of the cruise, I compensated by ordering three starters and two entrees each meal and then ate the more palatable from each group. 2) Not many smiles and some bruskness from wait staff at the main dining room and buffet. But there were notable exceptions. 3) More up-selling throughout the cruise than I wanted. I hear it’s even worse on many other cruise lines but if Celebrity wants to position itself as a luxury line, then its effort to “Sell, Sell, Sell” is inconsistent with that. 4) The dedicated live-aboard entertainment was nothing special. Also, the costumes tended to be racy and even weird. 5) An exception to Celebrity’s generally excellent handling of the crowd on-board was the persistent long line at guest relations. Also, while the staff was friendly, it frequently was not very helpful. 6) The pools were too cold and the hot tubs were always packed 7) Seems like the Disney and Carnival ships who docked in port at the same time as the Celebrity Reflection got priority when it came to docking location. 8) Celebrity’s repeat customer program is called the Captains Club. These privileges should work on all Royal Caribbean lines – but mostly don’t. 9) There is not enough room in the group fitness classroom. Also, charging for group fitness classes seems cheap to me. 10) Even though the ship was full, there were not that many teenagers on-board. Certainly, there were not as many as the Celebrity booking agent said we could expect on a New Year’s cruise. Also, the teen program is way too limited. 11) All the best reservation times for the specialty restaurants were taken well before boarding. This was true despite the fact that there were always many empty tables in each of the three excellent specialty restaurants we tried.

Very Good Staff. Great Ship.

Celebrity Reflection Cruise Review by RWilbourn

• Sail Date: December 2018
  • Destination: Western Caribbean
  • Cabin Type: Inside Stateroom
Positives:

4) The standard non-alcoholic drink selection was reasonable.

5) The Qsine specialty restaurant deserves special recognition. It’s amazing.

Negatives:

6) The pools were too cold and the hot tubs were always packed

10) Even though the ship was full, there were not that many teenagers on-board.

RWilbourn’s Full Rating Summary
Ages 13 to 15
Ages 16+
Get Celebrity Reflection price drops

Inside Stateroom
Cabin 12 1248 & 1252
Very nice and quite roomy for an interior cabin.
Plaza Deck Inside Cabins, Outside Cabins

• Costa Maya
    Left the port area and went to the town along the coastline. This is a poor Mexican fishing village. But we did get wonderful hour long $20 massages.
    View All 2,531 Costa Maya Cruise Port Reviews
    View Cruise Critic's Costa Maya Cruise Port Review
  • Dolphin Swim & Encounter
    Did Royal Swim at the Dolphin Discovery center. Highly, highly recommend but book it yourself online and save lots of money. If you do the Royal Swim, get the photo package too. It's worth it. The Royal Swim includes certain encounter activities which I don't think are available anywhere in the US.

The Dolphin Discovery center is within the Chankanaab Beach Adventure Park. The Park is also great. After we did the Royal Swim Dolphin encounter, we spent the rest of the day in the Park. Keep in mind, the food and drink plan Dolphin Discovery sells only works within the relatively small Dolphin Discovery area. However, you can buy a separate food and/or drink package in the Park which works throughout the Park.

The Chankanaab Beach Adventure Park is quite simply a big, well maintained and very upscale private beach. However, I'm glad we arrived before 10:30 to save some of the free beach chairs we used after finishing our Royal Swim Dolphin encounter. An easy and reasonably priced cab ride got us there on a good road in about 10 minutes.
    View All 415 Dolphin Swim & Encounter Reviews
  • Fort Lauderdale (Port Everglades)
    We rented the very inexpensive electric scooters that are everywhere in Ft. Lauderdale and had a blast.
    View All 1,929 Fort Lauderdale (Port Everglades) Cruise Port Reviews
    View Cruise Critic's Fort Lauderdale (Port Everglades) Cruise Port Review
  • Stingray Swim
    The Stingray Swim and barrier reed snorkle is a great excursion. I wish I had booked it with an independent tour operator. The boat we were assigned was okay. But it wasn't great because it was slow and a little cramped. Also, the photo package was extra and very pricey.
    View All 727 Stingray Swim Reviews
  • Key West
    Rented bicycles and covered a lot of the island. The only negative was the Celebrity Reflection (unlike Disney) was inconveniently docked at the Navy pier.
    View All 1,797 Key West Cruise Port Reviews