3. Adventure of the Seas
We did a b2b on Adventure to escape the cold and to spend time with friends. Our cabin steward was Sherwin and he was the absolute best we’ve ever experienced! Kind, always smiling and incredibly efficient. Superb does not come close to describing Sherwin. I have deadly allergies to seafood, mushrooms and tarragon. I emailed the ship prior to the cruises with the information and requested a table for two to avoid accidentally being served someone else’s food along with trying to avoid inconveniencing other cruisers with needing to preorder my food each night. Royal has become more and more slack on some ships the last couple of years. The head waiter is supposed to manage allergies. On some ships I had to have the head waiter handle my food at lunch time as well. Not by my request, it was policy on certain ships. Our first week I asked the waiter to please find our head waiter and explained why. After speaking with the head waiter she tried to pass me back to the waiter telling me she would be fine. I insisted on the headwaiter doing my orders. I have been on ships where serious mistakes have been made with my food by waiters who did not take the allergies seriously. Fortunately I survived! The head waiter was pretty good until the night prior to the 2nd formal night when she told me lobster would be served. She suggested we dine in the cabin. I said no I would like to be in the dining room and if it was too much for me we would leave. I asked her to just make sure our dinners came out quickly like she had done the other nights and hopefully I would be fine. We barely saw her formal night. The waiter came by and I asked if she could make sure we had more vegetables with dinner. It was almost an hour after our appetizers that we received our entree and no vegetables, no head waiter. We did not return to the dining room that week. Our second leg we had the same table, new waiter. Again I requested a visit from the head waiter due to deadly allergies. The head waiter took my order and served us. All seemed to be going well till the waiter came by, obviously unamused by my request to see the head waiter. He started laughing about me having so many allergies. HE LAUGHED at me! I was upset, my husband was LIVID! We spoke with the head waiter and naturally he apologized. He called over the dining room manager. Naturally he apologized as well. Really??? We have been on about 35 cruises and had never experienced anything so uncalled for and rude. We reported it to guest services. The Assistant Maître D and Restaurant Operations Manager took us to another dining room and apologized profusely. In our estimation this could be solved with a chat with the waiter, requesting that HE apologize and provide him with some much needed training. Their solution was to call me the next day at 5:30 pm to say we were being moved to a private table in the dining room on deck 3. We would be escorted to our table, the head waiter would take my order and they would introduce me to the chef. I know they were trying to solve the problem but what they did punished us. We lost our excellent table, had to wade through a huge crowd to get into the dining room and the so called private table was the one we typically sat at for breakfast by a window. Nice during the daylight but very dark at night. This dining room was loud and not at all pleasant like deck 5 where we had been. The head waiter was very nice and so was the chef. The dining room was the issue. We did not return to the dining room. We ate in port, the WJ or one night in Johnny Rockets. This episode with dining room issues due to my allergies was not an isolated incident. This was the straw that broke the camel’s back! Disembarkation was horrible on our turnaround day as well. It was handled badly at the port, complete chaos with many many annoyed people trying to get off the ship to get home ALL at the same time! We got off as quickly as we could the day we went home because we needed to get on an earlier flight due to weather at our home airport. We grabbed our luggage where they weren’t finished lining up bags much to the shagrin of staff at the port. A porter was understanding and helped. We travel a lot. We have cruised less and less with Royal the past few years since in our estimation Royal Caribbean service and food has deteriorated dramatically and there is no consistency between most ships. We travel for fun and enjoyment. I don’t need to be fighting for my ability to eat safely. We are D+. Friends suggested that we try Celebrity. Their food handlers are certified in something called DineAware. We’re booked on a b2b in the new year. Hopefully they are as good on-board as their Vacation Planners were on the phone.

Extremely disappointed in Adventure Dining Room Staff!

Adventure of the Seas Cruise Review by Chip and Dale

• Sail Date: January 2019
  • Destination: Western Caribbean
  • Cabin Type: Ocean View Balcony

Chip and Dale’s Full Rating Summary
Get Royal Caribbean Adventure of the Seas price drops

Ocean View Balcony
Cabin 4D 8638
We were very happy with our cabin. We had a new couch. The drawers stuck but this is common on most ships. We absolutely loved our cabin steward Sherwin!
Deck 7 Inside Cabins, Outside Cabins, Balcony Cabins, Suite Cabins