3. Grandeur of the Seas
This is our 3rd cruise out of Baltimore, 2nd on Grandeur and once on her sister ship. We were on deck 7 in a spacious ocean view cabin and had Cornelius as an excellent and skilled cabin attendant. Most of the reviews have already described the friendliness of the crew (which I thought had actually declined since our last cruise), great job by Mike the cruise director and the good food in the MDR and buffet so I will leave it there by agreeing wholeheartedly. Entertainment: We had a great magician (Jamie Allan) and comedian (Naster) on our cruise who were both very high quality and very talented. However, the cast shows were really low quality and particularly the singers. Male vocalists on the ship sang dated songs and were not special in any way. Finally, if you like team trivia and various game shows, THIS is the cruise for you. Daily entertainment is abundant and fun. RCI is starting to economize and various changes are evident. On our last cruises on Oasis and Grandeur, Diamond members got a few hours of complimentary internet time. Now that is gone along with per minute plans to use the internet with the substitution of an exorbitant daily rate or whole cruise package as the only choices. I saw few people using the internet terminals unlike our previous cruise and myself and others getting free internet in our port stops. I love to have smoked salmon as part of breakfast on cruises but that was present in the Windjammer only once or twice that I noticed during a 12 day cruise vs. every morning previously; the quality was pretty bad in comparison to other ships we have been on. Beef used to prepare some of the various stew-type dishes in the Windjammer was frequently so tough as to be inedible. Hamburgers and meatballs were made with ground beef that often had inedible chunks of gristle. Other than those items most food was quite good in all of the restaurants including the MDR, Chops and Giovanni's. Major Negatives: The Centrum on the Grandeur is used for musical entertainment and dancing and for other things like dance and exercise classes. In the evening particularly, the sound level of the band and screaming singers and DJs was often well above 125dB (decibels) on the OSHA sound meter app. on our smart phone. At 100dB that can cause permanent hearing damage, OSHA recommend less than 15 minutes of exposure MAXIMUM to level of 100dB.............so you get the picture of how loud that Centrum "entertainment" is on the Grandeur and similar ships when the "entertainment" starts cranking (earplugs anyone???). Smoking is allowed in the Casino that is connected with the Centrum by a short hallway. The smell of smoke drifts into the Centrum and was often detectable at various times. Obviously the air circulation in the Casino is not adequately exhausting the air from there and it is thus forced into the adjoining hallways and entertainment spaces.......GROSS for non-smokers like us. The mattresses on the Grandeur as showing their advanced age as is the ship. Mine had a distict "valley" in it that I just lived with for 12 nights. Finally, we were on Deck 7 and endured constant sewer gas smells in the bathroom presumably coming from the floor drain in the backside of the toilet. Complaints to our room attendant mollified the smells for a few days but they returned so I had to routinely run the shower hand nozzle into that drain and cover it with a towel. I see another review on CC where the same problem was reported for a cabin on Deck 7on the same side as our cabin so this may be a system problem on this ship on this deck on the port side.

Still a friendly ship but some problems apparent

Grandeur of the Seas Cruise Review by OBX-Cruisers

OBX-Cruisers’s Full Rating Summary
Get Royal Caribbean Grandeur of the Seas price drops

Spacious Ocean View
Cabin 1M 7082
Reviewed as part of the general review. Sewer gas smell and old mattress were the only negative features of this otherwise quiet and spacious OV cabin (no verandah)
Deck 8 Inside Cabins, Outside Cabins, Suite Cabins