Serenade of the Seas Cruise Review

The good and the bad!

Serenade of the Seas Cruise Review by GrammieS

• Sail Date: Jan 2019
  • Destination: the Eastern Caribbean

A neighbor of our close friends researchers cruises for good prices and perks. Almost two years ago, our friends told us about this cruise. There were 28 people from our over 55 community here in Texas. Most of these people were doing back to back on this particular cruise. We signed up for the second cruise.

We have taken 14 cruises since we retired ten years ago.....10 with Celebrity and this being the 4th with RCCL. We realized that the Serenade had been around for a number of years. But the itinerary and the reputation that RCCL has/had was a good reason to sign up for it.

Starting from the good to bad reviews, let me start with the good. Our room attendant and the wait staff were excellent. It was what you would expect, or wanted, on a cruise. The food was good. It could have been better, but we were okay with it. By no means was it outstanding. And, we definitely have experienced cruises with some above average appetizers, entrees and desserts. The entertainment usually held in the theater at two scheduled times was not good. There was no entertainment on two nights. Zilch. Oh, they did offer movies in a cinema room. But the big entertainment for the night was missing. Instead they called a movie their entertainment. And, this happened on the preceding cruise taken by many of our friends. I have to give this review a fair-good rating. A 5 out of 10 !!!

I forgot to add that the overall status of the ship was in need of some major overhaul. Many areas appeared worn. I am not sure if they have had any refurbishing of this ship. 7610

GrammieS's Full Rating Summary

Cabin Accessible veranda 7610

Average and in need of refurbishment. Except room attendant!

St. John Tour

We took a ferry over from st Thomas to St. John’s. The diesel fumes were overbearing on the ferry. From there, we were on an open to the air taxi accommodating five rows of people with five people in each row. This taxi also had horrible diesel fumes. I became quite ill....nauseous and then experiencing 7 episodes of vomiting sometimes over the side of the taxi. The driver stopped when I became ill. I continued to vomit over the stonewall when we stopped. The driver wanted to bring me back. But I declined since we were almost half way around the hill. I didn’t want to ruin it for all of the other passengers. When I returned to the ship I went to the medical facility. I was seen, evalated and given an injection for my unrelenting vomiting. I had to pay for this visit. I am not sure that I will be reimbursed. I did purchase trip insurance so maybe I will be reimbursed the amount.

View All 195 St. John Tour Reviews
St. Croix

We had prepaid for a shore excursion by an independent contractor. We were unable to take it as I was still sick. I remained sick for the remainder of the day.

Antigua

We took a short walk around the immediate area just off of the ship. I wish we could have done more, but I still wasn’t quite up to doing much. No appetite for 3 full days.

St. Kitts (Port Zante)

We walked around the immediate area just off of the ship. It was okay.

Poor.....very poor. We expected....for the money that it cost.... that we would experience some delectable offerings of varied foods. It was pitiful. First stop was a baked potato with some ill descript sauce. The second stop was 2 small pieces of pork ribs. Not even sure how to descend the third stop.....whatever it was, there was not much of it! The final stop was a joke...deceiving. We were to make our own whatever. Well the whatever was a one inch piece of fried dough given to us in a small plate. We proceeded to one by one go to a table where our trip person handed us a container with chocolate sauce which we dribbled over the fried dough. Then we sprinkled some powdered sugar over that. And THAT was THAT!

$99.00 per person for food given to us by some off of the wall restaurants. All of these restaurants we found out were run by Jamaicans. And, we had at the beginning of the tour told how the owner was Jamaican. She obviously wanted to take care of her own. This was St Maarten...what in the world was all this jamaican food business about???? We should have vented our complaints with the Shore Excursion desk, but we didn’t have time. I think we will stay away from shore excursions by the cruise line.

View All undefined undefined Reviews