3. Viking Star
We were very interested in seeing Cuba, now that we finally had a way to get there. We were somewhat disappointed, however, in the destinations. Since Viking does not dock in Havana, we were at the port of Cienfuegos for 2.5 days. We did arrange a private tour for our group of six to Havana, so we were able to see Havana, but it was a 3 hour drive from Cienfuegos. The excursions (except for our private Havana tour) were all provided by the official government-owned tourist company, and were clearly influenced by the government. Quality of excursions seemed to vary depending on which group you were in. We did the Streets of Trinidad tour, but it was the first day onshore and the line for currency exchange was long and slow. My group was last to leave for the tour. They took us to a small town far past Trinidad where we spent a little time, and by the time we got back to Trinidad, we hardly had any time left, and it was a lovely town where I would have really liked to spend more time. This was similar on the "walking tour" of Cienfuegos, which turned out to be much more of a bus tour. Since a tour of the cigar factory was included, again my group was among the last to get in; by the time we got back to downtown Cienfuegos we had hardly any time left and did no walking tour at all. The ship itself, however, was very nice. We were happy with the food, the ship itself and everything onboard. I would do an ocean cruise with Viking again, but wish our experience with the Cuba excursions had been better.

Cruise to Cuba on Viking Star

Viking Star Cruise Review by cruising denise

• Sail Date: November 2018
  • Destination: Cuba

cruising denise’s Full Rating Summary
Get Viking Star price drops

Very well laid out. Smaller than a comparable cabin on our recent river cruise, but very well organized. We had room for all our belongings. We weren't in the cabin that much anyway, but we were quite comfortable.