3. MSC Divina
As a frequent cruiser with NCL, it was great to be able to receive a status match from MSC and be Black Card holders for our first cruise with their line. Black card holders get some great perks like sparkling wine & chocolate covered strawberries, a fruit bowl, chocolate ships, a free tasting menu in a specialty restaurant, a thermal hour in the spa, etc. Those little perks add much enjoyment to a cruise. Embarkation was a little slow, but that was our fault for not knowing how it works with MSC. As black card holders, you also get priority boarding, and we did not speak up, so we were in the wrong line. Next time we will know. Our first view of the ship was very impressive. It is quite beautiful, with loads of statuary and beautiful artwork on the walls. The main colors in the public ares are burgundy and silver, and it's very elegant. The crystal staircases are so pretty! We were able to go right to our cabin, and it wasn't even noon yet. The buffet was ready to serve lunch as soon as we boarded, and as we were leaving our room to go eat, we opened our door and our luggage was already there! Shocking! We have never gotten our cruise luggage that fast on either Carnival or NCL. The buffet was enormous, and they still give you a large platter for your food, unlike other lines that give small plates and no trays. We were quite surprised at the amount and variety of food, and there were different areas for Asian, Medditeranean, pizza, a carving station, varieties of cheeses and cold cuts, salad bars, and dessert bars. We prefer the dining room for all our meals, but the times we had to eat from the buffet due to our schedule, we were quite satisfied with the food. I just don't like to jockey for line position, fight for a turn at the beverages, and try finding a table until your food is cold when you finally find one. I would much prefer having someone bring me my food in a quieter and calmer atmosphere. We had second seating at the Black Crab restaurant. I wish all cruise lines used the "your time dining" that NCL uses. But we liked going in late as it worked better for our schedule. We sat at a table for eight all by ourselves for the entire week. Pretty funny. Our waiter and his assistant were quite nice, but uninterested. No pleasant small talk, no questions about our day, strictly business, get them in, get them out. They were polite and did smile, but I didn't feel the love like I have on other cruise lines. It seemed to be that way at all the bars as well. No one tries to make friends with the cruisers. In fact I felt like some of them bordered on rude. I was usually ignored until someone begrudgingly would ask me if I needed something. No dude, I'm standing here patiently waiting because I just like to crowd up to bars. HA. But the waitresses were sweet, and it was better to sit and let someone wait on me rather than try to get my own beverage. The food was OK. Most of the main dishes in the dining room were average. I truly didn't feel like I was eating gourmet food on the dining room at any time during the cruise except for the desserts. MSC has awesome desserts! I made sure to take advantage of their deliciousness! Took about five extra pounds of weight home, too. Sigh... I was kind of surprised that there were only two specialty restaurants on board. The shows were very good. All of the singers and dancers were fabulous. I am not a big fan of canned music, however, so that was a bit of a disappointment.. But the performers made up for it. The costumes were beautiful and the sound system was perfect, if maybe just a touch loud. The theater was quite comfortable, and there were clear views without poles in the way of your view like some cruise ships have. There was a problem with the steps, though. There were stairs down a flight, then a ramp, and then one more step down. I saw many people stumble on that single step, and I am betting there have been some serious injuries. They really should redesign that. The cruise director's staff would do some comic things while people were being seated. That made the waiting time fun. The pools were beautiful and there were quite a few hot tubs, but you could never get a deck chair. People would use these giant clips and beach towels to save seats and you would see many like that with no people in them. MSC needs to have a policy of moving stuff out if no one shows up in a certain amount of time, like I hear other cruise lines do. We like to play the slot machines, and there was a good variety of them in the casino. I don't understand why it is still acceptable to let people smoke in casinos but it still is, and that makes it a little hard on non-smokers. But there was an area that was less smoky and we kept to that side of the room for the most part. My favorite waitress worked in the casino. I wish I could remember her name. We don't usually do a whole lot of ship activities. I went to karaoke to sing one night, and that was pretty fun. Otherwise, we spent most of our free time on our balcony. It was heaven! We went to check out the bowling lane, the race car simulator, and the 4D Theater, but all those things are full of kids for the most part so we didn't use them. The bands in the bars were good. Most of the solo performers used backing tracks which we don't enjoy, so we did not frequent the musical acts. Plus we don't drink alcohol, so no reason to hang in bars. The ports were Antigua, St Kitts, Tortola, Guadeloupe, and St Maarten. They were all very beautiful in their own ways. Be advised, Guadeloupe is quite rainy, so bring a poncho on board! We took ship excursions in every port. They were all good. We took advantage of the laundry service, one large bag, 30 items for $20. It said that it would be done within 48 hours, but we got it back the next day! We also had reason to visit the medical facility, and they were very nice. We bought 5 of our photos for $60, which I think it a fair price. For another $10, they put our favorite photo on disc. I think that was a little excessive, but we wanted it so we could print it for our kids. We celebrated our 25th wedding anniversary on board, and went to the Eataly specialty restaurant for dinner. Now that was a gourmet meal! The food was amazing from start to finish. Our waiter Geraldo was really sweet and quite personable. Then they surprised us with a cake and Happy Anniversary sung by all the waiters to the tune of Happy Birthday. That was very cool! The shops were good, and there was quite a few of them. We were able to get all the little things we needed right there on board. Except for lip balm. They really should stock lip balm, lol. I got a great hat during the $10 extravaganza! lol Disembarkation was very very slow. It's so rude to have to be out of your cabin by 7:30am, and that was for Black Card holders, like that's a good thing or something.lol Luckily our flight did not leave until three, if it was around noon, we probably would have missed it. We hear Divina has had some recent drug busts among the crew, so that may have slowed things down, but also we were still in a government shut down, so that could have slowed customs down as well. I think they should have served coffee in the theater where we were waiting, that would have made it better. It took about two hours to clear the ship, and once they did, disembarkation went pretty smoothly. I like the way they sort the luggage for claiming in the terminal, that works out well. Over all I give the trip a B+, and I would definitely cruise with MSC again!

Beautiful ship, great ports. wonderful entertainment, average food

MSC Divina Cruise Review by So Glad

• Sail Date: January 2019
  • Destination: Eastern Caribbean
  • Cabin Type: Fantastica Balcony Stateroom

Over all I give the trip a B+, and I would definitely cruise with MSC again!
So Glad’s Full Rating Summary
Get MSC Divina price drops

Fantastica Balcony Stateroom
Cabin B2 10154
This was our first balcony, cabin 10154, and we were so delighted! The room was well set up, and there was plenty of storage space for all of our luggage and clothing for our 11 day trip. There are no hooks except in the bathroom, so if you are like us and need a separate space for jackets and sweaters, bring over-door hooks with you. Our steward was congenial and quite helpful and did his best to accomplish everything we needed. The couch was kind of dirty and could use a deep cleaning, but the bed was nice and quite comfortable. We both slept well. The bathroom was clean and spacious with shower walls that folded in to give you more space in the bathroom during the day. No problems with any of the bathroom equipment and there was plenty of hot water. There was no electrical outlet in the bathroom, and only two regular outlets on the desk area. The other outlets were European, and we forgot to bring a converter. But we had brought a three space extension cord, so we had plenty of power.
Cupido Deck Inside Cabins, Balcony Cabins

• Antigua
    Fudge Taxi Service took us on a drive around the island, to an overview that had a fort site on it, and to Nelson's Dockyard. Antigua is gorgeous.
    View All 1,550 Antigua Cruise Port Reviews
    View Cruise Critic's Antigua Cruise Port Review
  • Carbet Falls
    It was pouring rain. It is a rain forest, after all. We hiked across a cobblestone path, and I thought I was either going to drown or break my ankle. If I had known how it was really going to be, I would not have gone. But the falls were gorgeous. However, there were so many people, you only got 30 seconds in line to take a picture. Not that much fun. Best part was seeing the little crabs that hike next to the trail.
    View All 7 Carbet Falls Reviews
  • St. Kitts (Port Zante)
    Agatha took us to the Fairview Greathouse and Botanical Gardens, to a batik maker and the gardens on their site and to Brimstone Hill. All three sites were fabulous. This was my absolute favorite tour and my favorite island.
    View All 1,698 St. Kitts (Port Zante) Cruise Port Reviews
    View Cruise Critic's St. Kitts (Port Zante) Cruise Port Review
  • Catamaran Tour
    I booked this tour because it promised snorkeling. We snorkled in a very deep area where there was no reef, but there was a wreck of some kind, so there were a lot of sargent majors and some other small fish. It was good to be back in the water, but it was too brief. The main point of the tour was drinking. It was an open bar and most of the people who were on there were there to catch a buzz. As non-drinkers, it wasn't nearly as much fun as other people seemed to have. They then went to a beach where people could get off and sit on the sand. No chairs. We stayed on the boat. The crew was very nice, and there was water and soft drinks, and sandwiches. The rum punch and beer flowed well, and at the end of the cruise, the crew served champagne. Everyone who drank seemed to have a wonderful time. It was really pretty out on the water. We did have a sail that they put up, but we ran on engine power even when the sail was up.
    View All 78 Catamaran Tour Reviews
  • Tortola
    We took an open side bus up into the Tortola hills, where there were some gorgeous overlooks. Then he dropped us off at the ferry dock and we waited about 40 minutes in the hot sun for the ferry to take us around the small islands that surround Tortola. The tour was nowhere near as wonderful as it was described in the ship brochure, but you will have that. It was OK.
    View All 13,150 Tortola Cruise Port Reviews