Viking Gullveig Cruise Review

A wonderful trip with excellent staff on board ship.

Viking Gullveig Cruise Review by pandabeat

• Sail Date: May 2018
  • Destination: Europe River

We had gone on two previous Viking cruises and found them to be first rate. We actually did the Budapest to Nuremberg cruise several years ago, and then did the Rhine cruise; as good as the latter was, we much prefer the Danube cruise and love the mystery and majesty of the Danube. We found great food and an exceedingly helpful staff. It is so nice to be picked up at one airport and taken to another at the end of the trip. The guides in the various cities we visited were all very knowledgeable. The guide at Gottweig Abbey was especially good, although admittedly it helps that that is such a magical place!

The staff on the ship were so polite and helpful, answering all our requests. I love the smooth professionalism of the wait staff at meals. And they always seemed ready with another refill of that great German Riesling wine! The piano player in the evenings was also great; in fact, he was the best of the three pianists on our three cruises.

The ship was very clean and our room was cleaned very day. The food choices were interesting and the wine and beer choices excellent.

pandabeat's Full Rating Summary

Cabin Standard 101

We had a small cabin but it was laid out so well we did not find the small space a problem. We especially like the bathroom and the shower.

Nuremberg

Nuremberg is a gorgeous town, with all those wonderful churches like St. Lorenz and St. Sebald.

Durnstein (Krems)

Durnstein is the site of Richard the Lionheart's imprisonment and hence is fascinating to me.

Vienna

I love Vienna and could spend a lifetime there! I really wish we had time for a full evening there on our own, so that I could visit the Staatsoper or the Volksoper.

Regensburg

We took the optional excursion to Salzburg, so I can't say too much about Regensburg. We did come to appreciate the lovely cathedral there.

pandabeat