3. Explorer of the Seas
The trip started off well with a very efficient embarkation. Our rooms were ready on-time to the minute. Things that stood out for me on this voyage: The medical facility was good. I was glad to be able to purchase some ibuprofen and dayquil there and it was well staffed. The Shore excursions desk was particularly helpful. I appreciated getting good advice about destinations without the hard sell as i’m more of a diy type myself. The Duty free shop is a joke. If you can’t find better prices on liquor and cigarettes where you live...relocate! Lunches in the Sapphire dining room were lack luster. Menu options didn’t impress and service was consistently awful. We were a table of 12 with 5 children. On one lunch there nobody looked after us the entire meal. No help with the high chair, dirty seats, no menus and no service. When we finally got the attention of a waiter for menus, he returned with breakfast menus instead instead of lunch. The level of engagement there was horrible. Also a problem in the Sapphire Dining Room, the door attendants did not require hand sanitizing even though at lunch time most guests there opted for the lunch buffet. The lunch buffet table was exposed without glass to shield food from coughing and sneezing. It's important to note that we were service notice of occurrences of norovirus on our sailing and although nobody in our party got it, several contracted the flu or other viruses. Drink packages horrendously expensive. Unless you plan on draining the ocean, it's probably better to buy individually even with the high drink prices. During tendering, Royal Caribbean exhibited good crowd control. Lines weren't always short but they always moved very quickly and orderly. Shows were of mixed levels of quality. Ice skaters were very good quality. The broadway style entertainers were so-so. We had two comedians...one was aweful and the other was a lot of fun. The professional dancers were very talented. We had a magician aboard for several shows. He was a hit with most of the guests. We thought he was a jerk. If keen to ice skate, bring your own skates as those offered aren’t worth strapping on. They buckled under the weight of the persons wearing them. The Amateur Choir was a lot of fun to watch. I'm sure the travelers participating had a blast too. The soft serve ice cream was a hit and so were the pizza and espresso at the cafe promenade. We spent time there nearly every day. We really liked the buffet for dinner. They took turns with different ethnic options every evening. The Indian and Mexican, in particular, were really good. Our room steward was amazing. Really good due who worked his butt of endlessly. Loads of issues with sea cards and card readers. The lifeguards around the pools were very attentive and always present.I really appreciated that with 5 kids in our party. They made it feel very safe. Bad internet The fastest their internet got was .5 mbps. The person working at the internet cafe said this wasn't normal but offered no reason why or when good service would be restored so I assume it's always that crappy...Don't waste your money.

Mixed Feelings

Explorer of the Seas Cruise Review by nathanc78

• Sail Date: December 2018
  • Destination: South Pacific
  • Cabin Type: Ocean View Balcony

Things that stood out for me on this voyage:

Our room steward was amazing. Really good due who worked his butt of endlessly.

Loads of issues with sea cards and card readers.

nathanc78’s Full Rating Summary
Ages 3 to 6
Ages 7 to 9
Get Royal Caribbean Explorer of the Seas price drops

Ocean View Balcony
Cabin 3D 1688
The cabin was awesome! It has a post in the room and one on the balcony. I didn't mind either as it resulted in a discounted room. The balcony was huge for us. We loved spending time out there especially while pulling into or out of ports.
Deck 7 Inside Cabins, Outside Cabins, Balcony Cabins, Suite Cabins