Magellan Cruise Review

Would have been better staying home over Christmas/New Year.

Magellan Cruise Review by gernita

• Sail Date: Dec 2018
  • Destination: the Caribbean

A cruise around the Canaries and the Caribbean over Xmas/New Year sounded idillic.

Alas, it proved totally the opposite, mainly boring due to lack of organised entertainment during "at sea" days which could be four days in a row. Furthermore, we found ourselves on a ship built over 33 years ago, so very outdated. We experieced rough seas between UK and Lisbon and the ship could not cope and rolled like a cork. Only the islands of Madeira, Antigua and Cozulmel were of interest. So much for visitng the Caribbean?

Our cabin was very small and did not represent anything like in the cruise brochure.It was stuffy with faulty air conditioning, no window to open and there was a constant smell of nausiating food and kitchen in the hallway and cabin. On arrival in Las Palmas we went out an bought ourselves a fan for the cabin. On arrival back home we had to wash every item of clothing, even new clothing not worn to try and get rid of the horrible food/kitchen smell. The only bright aspect of the cabin was the excellent steward from Honduras called Nelson.

The food was terrible. At one lunchtime sitting, all 8 of us on the table left the food and told the Manager to throw it overboard along with the chef. Yes it was that bad.

The highlight each evening was the 45 minute show in the in the Magellan Show Lounge. The ship has its own group of about 8 dancers and 6 singers and they put on a great show each evening. The singers were superb. They are worthy of being on a major cruise liner. Another pre-dinner highlight was the classical recital in the

Hampton's Bar with a lovely pianist and an excellen violinist. There was nightly entertaiment in the Captains Club if you can call the duo, Derya & Tolga entertainment as neither could sing in tune and we often completely off key.

Another complaint is the scam tactics of the barmen who give short measure with wine drinks. I sent my so-called 250ml drinks back more than 20 times for top-up and not once was there any objection from a barman? They need glasses with measurement amounts shown on the glass to stop this practise.

The ports of call, with the exception of Madeira, Antigua & Cozumel were a complete waste of time. Cape Verde was stepping into the a poor third world country with filth and poverty everywhere.

We were happy to reach Cozumel at the end of the cruise and disembark, but we still had organisational disasters. It took almost a whole day to get from Cozumel to Cancun airport. Then there was a 2 hour flight delay. This was made worse by having to sit on the bus at Gatwick to take us back to Tilbury for over one hour. Upon arrival back at Tilbury Docks we found all our cars unaccessable due to being advised where to park by the cruise car parking attendants. The police were called who removed a fence and help us, one by one to break free. My car was in a far corner and it took 2 hours before I was out.

Need I say that my crusing days are over and it you decide to cruise I suggest you made sure it is not on the Magellan.

gernita's Full Rating Summary

Cabin Upgraded. 7115

I have already, in my review stated how small and smelley the cabin was. It was more like being in a rabbit hitch without air.

Good fun both off road and on road. Plenty of mud!!!!

View All undefined undefined Reviews
Island Tour

Not much impressed with the tour or the island.

View All 149 Island Tour Reviews

Interesting tour around Las Palmas.

View All undefined undefined Reviews
Mayreau

Didn't get off the ship as my wife couldn't go to the island on the rough water.

Altos de Chavon

An interesting place to spend a couple of hours

View All 22 Altos de Chavon Reviews
Dune Buggy

Interesting way to see the island. Would recommend.

View All 108 Dune Buggy Reviews